- Advertisement -spot_img
Wednesday, August 10, 2022

A gun fired at police in Philadelphia on July 4

The bullets that shot two police officers during Philadelphia’s Fourth of July celebration were fired from the same gun – and possibly from a mile or more away, police said.

Officer Tanya Little told The Post that there have been no arrests as of early Thursday after two officers were grazed with .40-caliber rounds as they stood in front of the Philadelphia Art Museum at around 9:45 p.m. Monday.

Investigators do not believe the officers were deliberately targeted. Little said that about 10,000 people were drawn to watch the fireworks along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, an investigation into the shootings continues.

“We’re still campaigning for evidence,” she said. “We’re looking for and asking the public if they have a video of that time.”

Police in Philadelphia respond after two officers are shot during the city’s Fourth of July celebration.
Audrey Schneider via Reuters

The rounds were fired from outside the scene, perhaps from a mile or more away. Sergio Diggs, 36, a Philadelphia police officer, was grazed in the head while Montgomery County Sheriff’s Deputy John Foster sustained a shoulder injury. Little said both were treated and discharged from the hospital.

Chief Inspector Frank Vanore told reporters at a news conference on Wednesday that investigators were still investigating where the shooter fired or whether it was celebratory bullets, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

“They could have been anywhere at the south end of the art museum, behind the art museum,” Vanor told reporters. “Some detectives told me that they could have been on or beyond the expressway. I do not know.”

A Policeman Drives People Up And Away From The Parkway After Two Police Officers Were Gunned Down During A July 4Th Fireworks Show At Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
No arrests have been made till early Thursday.
Associated Press

None of the bullets hit the officers’ bodies, Vanor said, prompting investigators to conclude that they had been fired too far.

The Enquirer reported that a police officers association is offering a $42,500 reward for information that leads to an arrest.

Meanwhile, Mayor Jim Kenney said he was “happy” when he left office, citing Philadelphia’s gun violence, which worries him that the city’s events will end in bloodshed.

An Armored Police Vehicle Sits Outside The Philadelphia Museum Of Art.
Rounds were fired from outside the venue.
Thomas Heng/Shutterstock

“I don’t enjoy the Fourth of July, I don’t enjoy the Democratic National Convention, I don’t enjoy the NFL Draft — I’m waiting for something bad to happen all the time,” Kenny told reporters. “So I’ll be happy when I’m not here – when I’m not the mayor and I can enjoy certain things.”

In a statement released later Tuesday, Kenny, a first-time Democrat elected in 2015, took a different approach, saying he spoke “desperately” at the press conference.

“Let me be clear, I am incredibly grateful to be the mayor of this great city and to the people who chose me to lead,” Kenny said. “I care deeply about the safety of our residents and the future of our city, and so I’m disappointed in how I expressed my feelings last night. I made the Philadelphians feel that I didn’t care, and This couldn’t be further from the truth.”


World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Deskhttps://worldnationnews.com/
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here