NEW YORK ( Associated Press) — A man accused of shooting down a New York City subway train last month injured 10 people, pleaded not guilty to terrorism and other charges Friday.
Frank James filed the petition in federal court in Brooklyn, where US District Judge William F. Kuntz begins the proceedings by asking James, “How are you doing today?”
“Very well,” replied James.
When asked about his educational background, James said that he attended public schools in the Bronx before earning his GED. He said he also attended a few trade schools.
James, 62, is charged with committing a terrorist attack or other violence against a mass transportation system and discharging a firearm during a violent crime. In both cases the maximum sentence is life imprisonment.
The defendant was arrested on April 13, about 30 hours after officers said he departed Philadelphia and fired smoke bombs and dozens of shots at a train full of morning commuters as it approached Brooklyn Station. The shooting victims ranged in age from 16 to 60; Everyone survived.
Officials said James’ bank card, cell phone and key to a rented van were found at the shooting site. Police also said they found the 9mm Glock semiautomatic handgun used in the shooting and found James.
Defense attorney Mia Eisner-Grinberg cautioned at the time of James’ arrest not to rush decisions and noted that James had alerted police to his whereabouts. He was arrested in Manhattan’s East Village after he called a tip line saying he was at a fast food restaurant in that part of town.
Eisner-Grinberg declined to comment out-of-court on Friday.
The motive of the attack is not clear. In several rants posted to YouTube, James, who is Black, made scathing remarks about people of various backgrounds and charges against New York Mayor Eric Adams for being jailed and for the mental health care the city received years ago. complained about.
James, who is being held without bail, is due back in court on July 25.