On October 12, 2023, the city of Madrid hosted the traditional military parade of National Holiday Day, a unique event that is expected to have 100,000 attendees and will have inevitable impacts on pedestrian and motorized movement.
In the context of the provisions made to preserve the safety of those attending the celebration and other users of public roads, a set of measures has been programmed to facilitate the movement as much as possible.
The aforementioned steps are combined and form a fundamental part of the Action plan designed especially for the event where there is also the deployment of a Special Municipal Police and Mobility Agents device which will ensure that traffic needs are met.
The military parade on the occasion of National Holiday Day will be held in the districts of Chamberí, Salamanca, Centro, and Retiro.
The parade will start from the roundabout of Emperor Charles V and continue through Paseo del Prado, Plaza de Cibeles, Paseo de Recoletos, and Plaza de Colón.
Between 11 a.m. and 12:35 p.m. on October 12, 2023, the military parade will take place, the flag lowering will take place at 1 p.m., and all activities will end at 3 p.m.
Pedestrian crossings along the route:
They will try to stay open until 8 a.m. on October 12, except for the zebra crossings located north and south of Plaza de Cibeles, which will be open until 11:15 a.m. for the public to cross the street.
- From 10 pm on October 10 to 2:30 on October 11, 2023, Due to terrain tests and reconnaissance, traffic delays will be noted in the:
- Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo and streets and squares that converge there: Plaza de las Cortes, Plaza de la Lealtad, and Calle Felipe IV.
- Plaza del Emperador Carlos V, Paseo del Prado, Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo and Plaza de la Lealtad.
- Axis of Paseo del Prado (south direction) between Plaza de Cibeles and Plaza del Emperador Carlos V.
- From 8 a.m. on October 12 until the end of events (approximately 2 p.m.) Traffic cuts will be noted in the following areas:
- Axis that makes up the route of the ground parade: Plaza del Emperador Carlos V, Paseo del Prado, Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo, Plaza de Cibeles, Paseo de Recoletos and Plaza de Colón (on the north and south sides of the circulation).
- Road traffic closures will also be recorded:
- Loyalty Square.
- Antonio Maura, from Plaza de la Lealtad to its meeting with Alfonso XII.
- Ruiz de Alarcón, from its confluence with Montalbán to Academia Street.
- Felipe IV, from Paseo del Prado to Moreto Street.
- Alfonso XII: incorporation lane from Alfonso XII (north-south direction) to Antonio Maura.
- From 7:30 a.m. on October 12, 2023 to 3 p.m. The following locations may be affected by traffic reductions:
- From Glorieta del Emperador Carlos V to Calle de la Batalla del Salado.
- From San Eugenio to Glorieta del Emperor Carlos V.
- From Glorieta del Emperador Carlos V to Paseo del Prado.
- Paseo de la Reina Cristina, from Jimena Quirós Gardens to Plaza de Mariano de Cavia (the entire width of the street).
- Calle de Serrano, from the intersection of Calle de la Armada Española to Marqués de Villamagna.
- Sides of Paseo de la Castellana from Plaza Gregorio Marañón to Plaza San Juan de la Cruz.
- Atocha Street (total cut) from Glorieta del Emperador Carlos V to Calle del Amor de Dios.
- Génova Street to Plaza Colón. From Plaza Colón to the intersection of Zurbano Street.
- Side of Paseo de la Castellana between Goya and Ayala.
- Spanish Navy, between Plaza de Colón and Serrano.
- Goya between Paseo de la Castellana and Serrano Street.
- Hermosilla between Paseo de la Castellana and Serrano Street.
- Ayala between Paseo de la Castellana and Serrano.
- Serrano from the Spanish Navy to Ayala.
- Paseo de Santa María de la Cabeza, from Glorieta del Emperador Carlos V to Batalla del Salado.
- Paseo de la Castellana (turning lines to Alcalá Galiano), Alcalá Galiano Street, and Monte Esquinza Street.
As a complement to the above, and depending on the needs that may be appreciated, the Agents of the Authority may continue to extend the indicated traffic cuts.
An attempt will be made to maintain it for traffic:
- Access to Atocha station via Méndez Álvaro Street.
- Free circulation and movement in the roundabout of the monument to the victims of 11M for access to Atocha station, Alfonso XII, and Ciudad de Barcelona avenue.
- The transversal path from General Martinez Campos leads to Serrano and lateral to Paseo de Castellana. The roundabout and the Doctor Marañón roundabout will be left free, allowing cross passage and access to the upper part of the Castellana promenade.
- Circulation under the tunnel goes from Avenida Ciudad de Barcelona to Ronda de Atocha and vice versa.
Public Transport Offer:
To meet this need, the public transport system of the Community of Madrid has:
- Lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10.
- Nearest stations: Atocha, Estación del Arte, Banco de España, Retiro, Serrano and Colón. Antón Martín, Gran Vía, Callao, Sol, Ópera, Chueca, Velázquez and Alonso Martínez stations are also nearby.
It is planned to reinforce lines 1, 2, 4 and 5. This increase will be made between 9 a.m. and 10:30 p.m. on October 12, 2023, although the maximum reinforcement will be registered between 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the same time as the military parade National Holiday Day. Depending on the line, these reinforcements represent an increase of between 2 and 5 trains per line.
The Metro will specifically staff the stations of Atocha, Estación del Arte, Banco de España, Retiro, Serrano, and Colón with information personnel.
- Municipal Transport Company (EMT) Buses:
The usual lines are available, except for those affected by traffic cuts during the military parade, with a total of 44 lines in the daytime network from 8 am to 3 pm: 001, 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 24, 26, 27, 32, 34, 36, 37, 41, 45, 47, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 57, 59, 74, 86, 102, 119, 141, 146, 150, 247, C1, C2, C03, E1 and Express Airport).
10 lines of the night network are also affected: N9, N10, N11, N12, N13, N14, N15, N17, N25 and N26.
Complete information on EMT line diversions can be consulted on their website.
The closest stations to the event are Recoletos and Atocha.
On October 12, 2023, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., stations 67 (Calle de Almadén), 81 (Cuesta de Claudio Moyano), 86 (Plaza de Cibeles) and 94 (Paseo de Recoletos- National Library) will be closed.
Taxi ranks located in the vicinity and on the parade route are not available during the aforementioned cut-off times:
- Emperor Charles IV Square.
- Atocha Street.
- Cánovas del Castillo Square.
- Felipe IV Street.
- Loyalty Square.
- Paseo del Prado.
- Génova Street (corner of Plaza de Colón).
- Goya Street (corner of Plaza de Colón).
- Paseo de la Castellana (corner of Hermosilla).
- Hermosilla Street (corner of Paseo de la Castellana).
- Serrano Street (Goya corner).
- Serrano Street (corner of Hermosilla).
- Serrano Street (Ayala corner).
Municipal parking lots:
Municipal car parks whose entrances and/or exits may be affected by traffic cuts are:
- Public parking. Las Cortes: from 10 pm to 2:30 am on October 11. All entrances and exits to the square will be closed.
- October 12, 2023 from 8 am to 3 pm:
Although the entrances and/or exits of the following car parks may not be affected, they will be affected by the traffic reductions that will be recorded on nearby roads:
- Mixed parking. Sanchez Bustillo.
- Public parking. The courts.
- Public parking. King’s Square.
- Public parking.Villa de Paris.
- Parking for residents. Esteban Villegas.
- Parking for residents. Espalter
- Parking for residents. Antonio Maura.
- Mixed parking. Montalban.
District of Salamanca:
- Public parking. Plaza de Colón: it will not be accessible from Paseo de la Castellana and access from Goya and Armada Española will be cut off.
- Mixed parking. Serrano II.
- Mixed parking. Serrano III.
Municipal tow truck service:
Due to road closures, the municipal tow truck service may see its functions modified, especially the ‘Tow truck depot. Columbus Base’.
All of the above, The Madrid City Council recommends that citizens use public transportation, avoid circulation around areas affected by traffic cuts and/or restrictions and if it is necessary to use a private vehicle to long trips use M-30 and M-40.