A bomb blast near a mosque in the Afghan capital, Kabul, has killed at least 40 people, officials say.
In a series of tweets on Sunday, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the bomb targeted the entrance to the targeted Dagah mosque.
“A bomb blast near the entrance to Kabul’s G-Dagah mosque this afternoon has crushed a crowd of civilians, killing several civilians.” He wrote.
Taliban spokesman Bilal Karimi told the Associated Press that no Taliban fighters were harmed in the attack. The dead were civilians standing outside the gates of the mosque. He did not give a figure for the death toll and said an investigation was under way.
An Italian-funded emergency hospital in Kabul tweeted that they had injured four people in the blast.
No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing. However, since the Taliban took over Afghanistan in August, reports have surfaced that many members of the ISIS terrorist group have been released from prisons across the country, while ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed 13 U.S. military members in late August. Quick evacuation to Kabul’s main airport.
A shopkeeper near the site of the attack, who only gave his name as Abdullah, told AFP: “I heard explosions near the Eid al-Adha mosque and then gunfire.”
This is the first attack on Sunday since ISIS targeted the American eviction effort, which also killed more than 100 civilians.
On Friday, October 1, Taliban fighters raided an ISIS hideout just north of Kabul in Parwan province. The operation came after four Taliban fighters were injured in a roadside bombing in the area.
The release of ISIS members has raised the question of whether a conflict between it and the Taliban, which many consider a terrorist organization, could erupt in the country. ISIS and the Taliban have been enemies for many years.
A senior White House official said last week that about 100 Americans and permanent residents are still trapped in Afghanistan.
“Of course, the biggest obstacle to the departure of our citizens and others from Afghanistan is the Taliban’s uncertainty over who is allowed to leave,” a State Department official said. “The second big hurdle is the lack of regular commercial airlines to enable those who want to go as expected.”
Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Millie faced questions from senators about withdrawing the chaos.
Speaking before a congressional panel last week, Austin said, “My judgment remains that the extension to the end of August will greatly harm our people and our mission.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times