- Advertisement -spot_img
Sunday, June 26, 2022

America to pay victims of “Havana Syndrome”

WASHINGTON ( Associated Press) – The State Department is set to pay compensation in the amount of at least $100,000 to victims of mysterious brain injuries known as “Havana Syndrome,” officials and a legislative aide said.

Personnel who work for or have worked for the State Department (including family members) who have suffered injuries with characteristic features of the syndrome since the first cases were reported among US Embassy employees in Cuba in 2016 They will receive a payment of between 100,000 and Rs. $200,000 each, according to sources.

According to officials and aides, specific amounts for victims will be determined based on the degree and severity of their injuries, which include but not limited to vertigo, cognitive impairment, and brain damage to vision and hearing problems.

Payment will be made only to the victims and their dependents employed by the State Department. The remaining victims will be compensated by the federal agencies that hired them. About 20% of the total number of victims are employed or employed by the State Department. Almost all others were hired by the CIA or the Department of Defense, which have their own medical policies.

Officials and aides requested anonymity prior to publication of the State Department’s plan to compensate victims in accordance with the Havana Act, which President Joe Biden signed into law last year.

The draft rule is due to be published next week, and will not be considered final until after the 30-day public comment period. The State Department, along with the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Personnel Management, will weigh the comments before the final regulations are promulgated.

The State Department declined to make any statement on Thursday about the amount of the proposed payment, but insisted that Havana law authorizes it to pay “personnel for certain brain injuries that meet the requirements.” And it requires them to make public their plans to release it, which he said will happen “soon.”

Despite nearly six years of investigation, scientists, doctors and government officials have been unable to determine the cause of the injuries, which some speculate are the result of a microwave or other attack by a foreign power. Russia is often accused of being behind the alleged attacks, although there is no evidence to support these claims.

Mysterious injuries began to be reported among employees in Havana in late 2016 and have since spread to nearly 70 countries on every continent except Antarctica. The number of reported cases has dropped dramatically since the beginning of this year.

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Deskhttps://worldnationnews.com/
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here