The Catalan independence movement has Quebec and Scotland as references. To share not only secession aspirations, but also how Canada and the United Kingdom have responded to the sovereign wishes of both countries. The President of the Generalitat, Pere Aragones, once again inspired by Canada’s route, proposes to the state a “clarity agreement” with which to channel the Catalan dispute through a referendum.
The government with a rope around its neck
It has been Aragonese’s most outstanding proposition in his speech with which he initiates the debate on general politics, an appointment which marks the beginning of the Catalan political course. It has not been a monothematic speech with process. The president has devoted much of his speech to reviewing the work of each department and announcing a package of anti-crisis measures.
In the final section of his speech, Aragonese outlined the state’s proposal for a “clarity agreement” inspired by federal law adopted in Canada in 2000, which set the conditions for Quebec to vote in a subsequent self-determination referendum. Held in 1995. Both consultations ended with the defeat of the libertarians.
Aragonese defines his proposal as “inclusive”, addressing “all Democrats”, whether pro-independence or not. And he has acknowledged that with this he attempts to “overcome the blockade”, in reference to some of the fruits that the government’s commitment to the negotiating table with the government has yielded. Nor does Aragonese refer to Catalonia’s repeated refusal, both central executive and constitutional, to self-determination.
The Clarity Agreement, Aragonese emphasized, should identify “when and how” Catalonia can once again exercise its right of self-determination. “This is the way to create a definitive referendum that allows citizens’ decisions to be translated into political consequences,” the president insisted.
Days before the fifth anniversary of 1-O 2017, Aragonese has highlighted the importance of that sovereign milestone, while not considering it untouchable: “only the validity of an agreed referendum can change on 1 October”. There is no attempt in any part of his speech to return to the unilateral path.
Faced with close denial of opposition to the proposal, Aragonese has highlighted the “widespread consensus” generated by the referendum, even among voters of parties opposed to secession. The Clarity Agreement, the president emphasized, is a “constructive, affirmative proposal that seeks to build consensus, goes against none and seeks contributions from all.” Aragonès has announced that various social, economic and municipal sectors will contribute to the proposal.
However, before sitting down to negotiate the Canadian route, Aragonese has urged “to end the repression once and for all” against the independence movement. The president has included in this folder with which to achieve “the effect of an amnesty” both sovereignists who are still facing pending cases (without going ahead, next week the trade minister, Roger Torrent, vote to allow would go to trial for. on the monarchy) and “exile”, referring to continuing leaders in Belgium and Switzerland such as Carles Puigdemont or Marta Rovira.
Criticism of PP’s “fiscal populism”
Aragonès participates in its second general policy debate with a more complex scenario than it did last year. The war in Ukraine raised the economic cloud that European funding was about to run out. Internally, Junts’ skepticism is growing to such an extent that the post-convergence threatens a government crisis that today is less likely than it was a few weeks ago.
Aragon made no direct mention of any of the three demands of the Juntes Aragones – limiting the dialogue table to self-determination and apology, creating a sovereignty coordinating body and creating unity of action in Madrid. The subsequent effigy of Diada signals the willingness of both partners to resolve the crisis privately, the vice president, Jordi Puignero (JUNTS), asserted on Monday.
Aragonese has been much belligerent with tax cuts for rocks announced by PP communities such as Andalusia or Madrid. “Catalonia will not participate in a populist debate on tax cuts that benefit only the richest 1%”, the president insisted when taxes on the richest are reduced “the bill is to be paid by the remaining 99%”. “.
“The model of Catalonia is not a model of lower taxes for the rich and cuts and poor public services, it is not the model of Madrid de Ayuso and Nez Feiju”, Aragones stressed before detailing the anti-crisis measures, including bonuses. Income tax of €100 per child for families to compensate for the increased cost of school supplies. There is no tax deduction (neither rich nor poor) in sight.