The Australian government has joined a growing number of organizations concerned with the safety of Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai and has asked Beijing to be held accountable on the matter.
Peng, the world’s # 1 female couples, disappeared from the public eye after she sexually assaulted former Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli on social media.
Her disappearance has raised international concern. Over the weekend, she reappeared in the Chinese state media, with one video showing her in a restaurant and another showing her taking part in a local tennis tournament as a dignitary. But her reappearance did not diminish concerns for her safety.
“It is understood that many people, including those from the international sports community, have expressed grave concerns about Ms. Peng’s well-being,” an Australian government spokesman told the Guardian on Monday evening.
“This is a question that needs to be answered in a transparent and accountable manner.”
Meanwhile, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said on November 21 that its president, Thomas Bach, held a 30-minute video call with Peng, a three-time Olympian. During the call, Peng said that she is safe and healthy, lives at her home in Beijing, and would like her privacy at the time to be respected, according to the IOC.
However, instead of appeasing public concerns, the IOC only provoked new questions and criticism.
Elaine Pearson, Australian director of Human Rights Watch, criticized the Olympics for promoting “state propaganda” in Beijing.
“Instead of promoting Chinese government propaganda, this is what the IOC should do in light of Baha-Pen’s call to uphold the freedom and safety of athletes,” she wrote in her letter. mail on Twitter.
The message cited a statement by Human Rights Watch urging the IOC to withdraw its statement about the video call, publicly explain the circumstances surrounding the video call, and urge the Chinese government, among other things, to initiate an independent and transparent investigation into Peng’s claims. …
This happened after it became known that Zhang Gaoli played a decisive role in the organization of the Winter Olympic Games in Beijing.
This comes at a time when human rights groups are urging governments around the world to carry out a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, given the massive human rights violations committed by the communist regime.
A diplomatic boycott is when official government delegations are not present and athletes can participate themselves if they wish.
Australia is closely following the actions of the United States, and last week President Joe Biden confirmed that the Biden administration is considering a diplomatic boycott.
“The decision to represent the Commonwealth at the Beijing Winter Olympics has yet to be made,” a Guardian Australia spokesman said.
Frank Fung contributed to this report.