The teenager was taken to Mackay Base Hospital police said, he was then revived by paramedics , but died 40 minutes later after his terrifying ordeal
Image: Christian Science Monitor via Getty Images)
A boy has died after jellyfish stung him and wrapped its huge tentacles around him.
The horrific tragedy happened in Queensland, Australia where the 14-year-old was swimming at Eimeo Beach.
Reports says he emerged from the surf at round 2.30pm yesterday and had more than six feet of tentacles around his body including his his arms and legs which were gripped by the box jellyfish.
CPR was given to the teenager by nearby eyewitness after he went into cardiac arrest following the sting.
The teenager was taken to Mackay Base Hospital police said, he was then revived by paramedics 40minutes before he died.
Kirby Dash was celebrating her mum’s birthday on the beach and saw him in the water.
He stumbled as he was waist-deep with an “unreadable expression on his face” before desperately calling for help, according to the Daily Mercury.
She said: “He had gone into shock
‘His legs were covered in tentacles.”
Beachgoers and lifeguards ran to help him while his parents desperately called on their children to get out of the water.
Men helped lifeguards give first aid while otherws offered water and towels.
Ross Gee, Eimeo Surf Life Saving Club president said the boy was doused with ’30 liters of vinegar’ as they tried to remove the stinging tentacles from his body
He said: “We were there as he exited the water, quickly after that he was semi-conscious”
Life saving teams finished a net sweep for jellyfish just 15 minutes before the incident.
The beach will be closed for the remainder of the weekend and residents warned to stay out of the water.
It is the third box jellyfish fatality since 2006, when a 17-year-old was stung in Queensland in February last year.
Box Jellyfish are named after their distinctive shape and can be known as sea wasps.
The marine creature’s tentacles are covered with poison darts which can be lethal to humans and animals.
The stings can lead to paralysis, cardiac arrest, or death, a few minutes after being stung.
Dog owners, meanwhile, were urged to keep an eye out for a creature known as ‘Floating Terror’ which is washing up on British shores.
The Mirror told how parents were also warned to look out for the Man O’War jellyfish which has a strong venomous sting strong enough to kill an animal or a small child.
The creatures have been spotted along the beaches of North Wales in the wake of storms Eunice and Franklin.