It is one of the most commonly consumed dairy products in western culture. It is part of specific preparations but can also be eaten alone on the table, with bread at eleven oclock, or for breakfast.
If you’ve accidentally left cheese out of the fridge for a long time, you may have seen it develop its own ecosystem by colonizing it with different types of cheese.
You may think they are safe to eat because some varieties, like blue cheese and camembert, require mushroom varieties that are safe for human consumption and allow them to maintain their special image and delicious taste.
This reality doesn’t apply to all cheeses, however, and some of these could make you ill if eaten with mushrooms. Check out what you should do.
Can I eat cheese with mushrooms?
Mold is often a sign that food is beginning to spoil. These can be visible as gray, white, greenish, or bluish patches and often appear furry.
Although they grow on the surface of food, or cheese in this case, like plants, fungi have roots that can penetrate deep into the food.
Depending on the type of cheese, the recommendation varies if you find mushrooms.
At the Mayo Clinic, they explain that with cheese that is creamier or smoother, cream cheese or ricotta should be removed immediately at the first sign of a fungal infestation.
But for these guys, who are older and harder (B. Swiss Parmesan or Parmesan), it is best to cut off the place where the fungus is growing.
The cutting depth depends on the cheese. If it’s very hard, about an inch is enough, but if the consistency is moister, you may need to remove a larger portion as the mushroom’s roots reach more space.