- Advertisement -spot_img
Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Capitol Assault: Proud Boys Leader Loses Appeal

WASHINGTON ( Associated Press) — The former leader of the far-right Proud Boys will remain in jail awaiting trial on charges that he conspired with other members of the group to attack the U.S. Capitol and prevent Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s presidential victory. a federal judge ruled.

Henry “Enrique” Tarrio poses a danger to the public that cannot be mitigated by home detention or a ban on his use of social media, Judge Timothy Kelly announced in an order issued Friday.

Tarrio, a South Florida resident, has been in jail since his March 8 arrest, a day after being indicted on conspiracy charges. Previously, a federal magistrate in Miami had ordered that he remain in custody until trial.

The man and other members of the Proud Boys used encrypted channels, social media and other electronic communications to plan and execute a plan to storm the Capitol on January 6, 2021 and interfere with the legislative certification of the Electoral College vote, of agree with the accusation.

Tarrio asked Kelly to order her out on bail, but the judge denied the request. Kelly said the evidence against Tarrio is “very strong,” despite Tarrio’s argument that authorities have no “smoking gun” against him, “perhaps in the form of direct evidence of an order from Tarrio to other Proud Boys.” to invade the Capitol.

Tarrio was not in Washington when the attack occurred. Police had arrested him two days earlier in the District of Columbia and charged him with vandalizing a Black Lives Matter movement flag at a historic black church during a protest in December 2020. A judge ordered Tarrio to stay out of the capital. .

Before leaving Washington, Tarrio met with the founder and leader of the far-right Oath Keepers group, Elmer “Stewart” Rhodes, and in an underground parking garage for about 30 minutes, authorities said. Rhodes and other members and associates of his group are charged with seditious conspiracy for the Capitol attack.

Five other individuals associated with the Proud Boys—Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl, Charles Donohoe and Dominic Pezzola—were charged in the same March 7 indictment.

Donohoe, 34, pleaded guilty in April to charges of conspiracy and assault, and agreed to cooperate with authorities in Justice Department cases against other members of the Proud Boys.

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Deskhttps://worldnationnews.com/
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here