Support our high school sports coverage by becoming a digital subscriber. subscribe now
St Margaret’s suspended a leading two-way player from attending their CIF-SS Championship football game on Friday after Claremont was accused of dangerous play before and after the Tartans’ semi-final victory.
Claremont coach Shane Heal said on Wednesday that St. Margaret had granted his request that a Tartan player allegedly engage in dangerous play, which injured an offensive lineman, in the Division 9 final at Colony High on Friday. will not participate.
Two St. Margaret’s administrators did not immediately return messages on Wednesday morning.
“We wish none of this would have happened,” Heil said. “I didn’t want my player to get hurt and I didn’t want his player to miss such a big game. But again, we all need to be accountable for our actions.”
Claremont alleged that one of its offensive linemen suffered a “serious” knee sprain after a St. Margaret’s player delivered a “dropkick” during the Tartans’ 23-13 win last week. There was no flag hoisting on the kicking play.
After the game, Heel sent an email to St Margaret’s and the CIF Southern Section requesting that the Tartan player be benched for the final. Heale said Wednesday that he did not believe the longer suspension was being discussed.
St Margaret’s coach Corey Minor declined to discuss the incident on Monday, referring to questions from his administration.
CIF-SS commissioner Rob Vigod said on Monday that the section would speak to St. Margaret about the situation.
Heel said he told the referee before the semi-finals that he was “strong” about St Margaret’s player’s conduct. After the game, he posted several dangerous-looking plays involving the player on Twitter, including a clip of Tartan’s quarter-final victory against San Dimas.
The Twitter post, which has since been taken down, raises concerns for the player’s safety.
San Dimas coach Mark Holman said this week that he was not aware of the video posted by the Claremont coach.