Some retail outlets want to encourage recycling and have therefore created programs to increase awareness. One of these is conducted by Costco, one of the largest retail stores in the United States, which has since established a plan to trade old electronics for free groceries.
Dubbed the Costco Trade-In, the program trades a variety of electronic devices, including phones, tablets, laptops, and gaming consoles.
The company has a website that works for the US, where you can exchange your electronic device. You can participate using the link below.
Step-by-step how the Costco Trade-In program works
1. Enter the serial number of your device and answer a few questions about its current condition to receive a commercial value offer.
2. If Costco provides prepaid shipping materials and packing instructions, they will arrive within 3-5 business days. When you print a prepaid shipping label, you can ship immediately in your own packaging.
3. Follow the instructions to erase your device, pack it up, and deliver it to the courier.
4. When your device arrives at our testing facilities, it will be inspected, the data will be erased, and your transaction will be ready for payment.
5. You will receive either a Costco Store Card or a Costco Digital Store Card with the exchange value.
Note that not all electronic items are eligible for Costco’s trade-in program. Damaged or non-functioning products will not be accepted under any circumstances.
Some other products may have very specific exchange requirements.
The benefit is that you get credit that you can use to shop at Costco. It works both online and in stores.