- Advertisement -spot_img
Wednesday, October 20, 2021

DHS cancels Trump-era ‘stay in Mexico’ program despite reinstatement order

The Biden administration’s Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced on September 29 that it was willing to issue a new memo on the “stay in Mexico” immigration program implemented by former President Donald Trump despite a Supreme Court ruling that the program would be re-launched.

Also known as the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP), the “Stay in Mexico” program provides shelter to some immigrants who seek asylum in Mexico when their claim is heard in the United States.

The program was launched in January 2019 under the Trump administration and was widely credited by supporters for reducing illegal border crossings.

Mark Morgan, acting commissioner of customs and border protection at the time, told The Epoch Times that the MPP was “the most important game-changer” and was largely responsible for a 75 per cent reduction in such crossings.

However, opponents, including Democrat leaders, have argued that the immigration system needs to be completely reformed, and called the MMP “inhumane” and “dangerous” to illegal aliens who are at greater risk of exploitation in Mexico by cartels and criminal organizations.

President Joe Biden quickly suspended the MMP on his first day in office in January, along with other immigration policies of the Trump era.

Although the DHS issued a memo ending the program in June, a Texas-based federal judge ruled that the MPP should be reopened and issued an order requiring the department to act “in good faith to reopen the MPP.” The DHS appealed against the ban but was blocked by the Supreme Court in August.

“The Department of Homeland Security intends to issue a new memorandum concluding the Immigrant Protection Protocol (MPP) in the coming weeks,” the DHS read the announcement.

“A new memorandum ending the MPP will not take effect until the current ban is lifted by a court order. In issuing a new memorandum terminating the MPPP, the department seeks to address the concerns raised by the court regarding the earlier memorandum.

Read Also:  Serbas block roads in Kosovo as NATO car rides end
Illegal immigrants from Haiti stand in line under the Del Rio International Bridge in Del Rio, Texas, on Friday, September 2, 2021, waiting for a bus. (Julio Cortez / AP Photo)
Pictures of the ages
Illegal immigrants delivered supplies to Acuna, Mexico, on the international border with Mexico, across the Rio Grande, Mexico and the United States (far away) on September 20, 2021. )

In the meantime, the DHS said it would continue to work honestly to restart the MMP in compliance with a Texas judge’s order and is engaged in ongoing diplomatic talks with Mexico.

But according to court documents filed this week, Mexico is still resisting the resumption of the program and Biden has yet to repatriate a single illegal immigrant.

“Negotiations with Mexico are ongoing and moving forward honestly, but, so far, Mexico has not yet agreed to accept the return under the order to reopen the MPP,” U.S. Justice Department lawyer Brian Ward wrote in a filing.

“At the same time, the department has formed an inter-theoretical task force to efficiently rebuild the infrastructure and reorganize the staff which will be required to re-launch the MPP if agreed upon. Among many other steps, the task force is updating policies and procedures for Covid-1 for and is preparing to enter into an agreement to rebuild the soft-party immigration hearing facilities used in court proceedings with the MPP, ”the DHS added.

The department pledges to build a “safe, orderly and humane immigration system that upholds our laws and values”, noting that it will continue to process immigrants in accordance with U.S. law.

The memo comes at a time when border patrol agents are suffering under the weight of illegal immigrant crossings that show no sign of slowing down. Agents made more than 200,000 arrests at the southern border in August alone, one of the highest months on record.

Reuters assisted in compiling this report.

Katabella Roberts

Follow

Katabella Roberts is currently a Turkish-based reporter. He covers news and business for The Epoch Times, primarily centered on the United States.

.

This News Originally From – The Epoch Times

World Nation News Deskhttps://www.worldnationnews.com
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply