Sunday, September 24, 2023

Dropbox is causing havoc by removing its unlimited storage plan

They explain in the post they published on their blog that Dropbox Advanced was designed as a suggestion for companies and professionals. But over time, they saw that the maneuver got out of hand and that there were practically more users abusing the system than companies exploiting its capabilities.

Dropbox wanted businesses to rely on the Advanced plan so they always have room to store their files and content as their teams grow, hire more people, or expand their storage needs. But contrary to that purpose, those who benefited the most from the tool were the cryptocurrency miners, i.e., the users who used the storage for personal use or even resellers doing business with it.

Dropbox Is Causing Havoc By Removing Its Unlimited Storage Plan

And as I said, in the end, they ran out of patience. The slap on the table they announced in the last few hours this turn It will ruin the businesses of many people who used Dropbox with the intention of making money. It is clear that the alternative plan provided by the service does not match what they need to continue benefiting from the cloud storage platform.

That’s the plan

The change is drastic. Customers who have a Dropbox Advanced contract with three active licenses You will have 15 TB of storage space. If more space is required, additional licenses must be purchased. For each additional contracted license, the service increases the amount the team can use by 5 TB.

But not only that: Fortunately, customers who use up to 35 TB can keep all the storage space active at the time of notification without having to make an additional payment. In addition, they can add another 5TB without paying anything, so they can enjoy it for five years. From that point on, they would have to reckon with the corresponding increase in their plan.

Dropbox Is Causing Havoc By Removing Its Unlimited Storage Plan

That’s what they say about Dropbox 99% of your customers It’s in the 35TB range, which is why they decided to make this change. But the remaining 1% will not be given up. They also keep the storage space they use and have the extra 5 TB, but only for one year. In addition, those responsible for the storage service will contact all these customers to find a more suitable solution to their needs so that they can continue to be satisfied with the service. They are aware that in this way they can certainly stop the overuse of their Dropbox accounts by resellers and cryptominers. They also confirm that there will be a maximum of 1,000 TB for all plans and that it will not be possible to exceed this in any way.

The change from current plans to the new philosophy will take place on November 1st, and the announcement will be made one month in advance. That may give some leeway to those with advanced Dropbox accounts so that they can make optimal use of their storage space and thus not lose any storage capacity, at least during the promotional period. It also announces the introduction of flexible storage plans, such as the ability to purchase an additional 1 TB for $10 per month or $8 per month when paid annually.

Dropbox Is Causing Havoc By Removing Its Unlimited Storage Plan

Throughout the statement, Dropbox has repeatedly insisted that this is a change consistent with what their rivals have done and with the way cloud storage has generally matured. With 99% of users saying they are at 35TB, there is no doubt that the idea they had is more economically viable for them and also smarter when it comes to maintaining the structure of their servers. But it will be necessary to see what long-term effects it will have and whether its popularity will ultimately be affected.

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Desk
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news