Friday, March 1, 2024

Federal marshals seize Miami Commissioner Joe Carollo’s home to cover $63 million judgment

The Federal Marshal Service has begun the process of seizing the home and property of Miami Commissioner Joe Carollo, as part of an effort by two Little Havana businessmen to collect a $63 million judgment awarded to them by a civil court jury last year. year.

In their lawsuit, William “Bill” Fuller and Martín Pinilla accused Carollo of using the town’s resources to carry out a personal vendetta against them.

Following the jury’s verdict, a federal judge issued an order in January giving the green light to seize Carollo’s property and other assets belonging to the commissioner.

A Federal Marshal Service officer took the first step toward complying with the judge’s order Friday afternoon, when he posted a notice on the door of Carollo’s Coconut Grove home with a copy of the final judgment and the order. .

The federal officer did not enter the home and left a few minutes after arriving. Carollo has repeatedly denied the allegations in the lawsuit and told the Miami Herald that he was “politically persecuted.” He is expected to challenge the confiscation of his property in court.

Reached by cell phone Friday, Carollo said he lives in the home, arguing that its seizure was made illegal under the Florida Constitution. “You can’t take someone’s house if it’s their house,” Carollo said. “This is my house”.

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Deskhttps://worldnationnews.com/
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news