At this point, there are surely very few people left who don’t know fish chips, especially if you’ve visited the United Kingdom where this dish is an institution. But just in case, we tell you. Part fish so Crispy Batter Fried Fish and generous. Part chips These are fried potatoes as they are called in England. This dish is accompanied by tartar sauce, puree of peas and a few drops of vinegar.
originally served in chipsas they are colloquially called small stalls devoted almost exclusively to cooking Fish and Chipsit was popularized by the working class in the nineteenth century To be an accessible, plentiful and inexpensive meal that can be quickly ordered and eaten on the go.
This dish soon became a delicacy appreciated across the length and breadth of England, which came to be believed to be true british national emblem, Even today, it has become a part of the menu of famous pubs and restaurants as a unique and distinctive fast food offering. there is no doubt that Fish and Chips They have had success for some time both in the UK and abroad.
- preparation time: 15 minutes
- cooking time: 30 minutes
- total time: 1 Hour
- rationing: 2
- grade: main dish
- dish type: English
- Calorie Per Ratio (Kcal): 914
Ingredients of Fish and Chips for 2 people
- 400 grams potatoes for frying
- 100g frozen peas
- few mint leaves
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or 10 grams butter
- 350g fresh cod fillets (hake, haddock or other white fish are fine too)
- oil for frying
- 100 grams all-purpose wheat flour
- 100ml very cold beer, sparkling water or plain water with bicarbonate of soda
- Add 2 tbsp more flour to the flour
- A little tartar sauce (or mayonnaise filet) to serve
- Light vinegar for drizzling (optional)
- lemon slice (optional)
How to make Fish and Chips
let’s start our preparation Fish and Chips for potatoes. For this we will need about 400 grams of potatoes for frying which we can peel or wash well if we want to leave the skin. Then we cut them into regular sticks, wash them twice and let them rest in water so that they lose their starch.damian serrano
While the potatoes are resting, we will make the pea puree. To do this we put water with salt to heat and when it boils we add 100 grams of frozen peas. Let them cook for 7 or 8 minutes, until they become soft.damian serrano
Sieve the peas and mash them to make a puree. It shouldn’t be too thin. We can help ourselves with a fork or a potato masher. We finish by adding some chopped mint leaves, 1 pinch of black pepper and 10 grams of butter or 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to taste. we booked.
At this time, we take about 350 grams of fish fillet. If they were too big, we’d cut them into smaller parts. Season the fish pieces with salt and pepper on both sides and let them rest to absorb the salt.damian serrano
Now heat a lot of oil in a broad pan for frying. When it becomes hot, take out the potatoes with a clean kitchen towel and pat them dry. As soon as the oil is very hot but not smoking, add half the potatoes and fry on medium heat for about 7 or 8 minutes. Take out on absorbent paper and repeat with the other half. We let them cool later to fry them a second time. We reserve oil.damian serrano
In a bowl, we are going to knead the dough for the batter. For this we will need 100 grams of flour which we will sift in a bowl with a pinch of salt. We make a hole in the middle and in it we pour 100 ml of very cold beer or, as much sparkling water or normal water with half a teaspoon of bicarbonate.
We start mixing the contents of the batter slowly with a few rods until we see that there are no lumps. The desired texture is a slightly runny custard, so we can fine-tune the texture by adding more flour or beer, if necessary.damian serrano
When we have the dough ready, we heat the reserved oil again, take the fish fillets and knead the dough with a couple of tablespoons of flour. The fish should be well covered from all the sides. Once the dough is kneaded, we pass them over the batter and let them coat in a nice layer.damian serrano
Immediately after this, we dip the battered fish directly into very hot oil, always without smoking. We can test to find out if it is at temperature by kneading a little dough beforehand. Fry the fillets in batches till well browned on both the sides.damian serrano
Once fried, we transfer them to a grid or tray with absorbent paper so that they lose excess oil.damian serrano
Finally, we fry the potatoes again, this time on medium-high heat, until they become golden and crispy in taste, this will take about 2 minutes. We also remove them on absorbent paper or a rack and season with salt to taste.damian serrano
To serve, we place the cooked fish on a tray or plate, next to the chips, with pea puree and a little tartar sauce to dip, although mayonnaise is also fine if we do not have it. Finally, when it comes to tasting, we can spray the fish with a little vinegar or a few drops of lemon.damian serrano
Easy Preparation Overview
- Cut the potatoes into sticks, wash them and keep them soaked for half an hour.
- Cook peas in salted water
- Mash peas, add chopped mint and some oil or butter
- Cut fish into pieces, season with salt and pepper and keep at room temperature
- Fry the potatoes for about 7 or 8 minutes on medium heat, remove and let cool
- Mix flour in a bowl with very cold beer and a pinch of salt
- beat the batter for the batter
- flour the fish and coat with flour
- Fry cooked fish in plenty of oil
- let the fish rest on the rack
- Fry the potatoes again, this time on high flame for 2 minutes, drain the water and add salt.
- Serve the fish with french fries or Fish and Chips With Pea Puree, Tartar Sauce and Lemon Wedge or Mild Vinegar