SAN JOSE – Former mixed martial arts champion Cain Velasquez will receive a new bail hearing later this month after trying to kill a man suspected of molesting a minor relative.
At a Friday hearing in Santa Clara County Superior Court, Judge Jose Franco granted Velasquez, 39, a new bail hearing for May 16, with a plea hearing scheduled for June. Velasquez faces 10 assault and weapons charges that could result in more than 20 years in prison. He was denied bail in March and is in custody at the Santa Clara County Main Jail.
Velasquez is accused of wielding a gun at a man accused of molesting a relative of his child. The man, Harry Eugene Goulart, 43, has been charged with a felony charge of a lewd and sexist act with a child under the age of 14, specifically a 4-year-old.
Goulart was granted supervised release at his trial in February. He was on his way with his parents to be fitted for an ankle monitor when Velasquez allegedly opened fire at the car, following the group to the southern edge of San Jose and injuring Goulart’s stepfather. gave.
Velasquez was arrested after the incident. In early March, he was denied bail, attracting public grievances from his supporters. Many complained that Goulart had been released before his trial, while Velasquez was still in prison.
According to Santa Clara County Sheriff’s investigators and prosecutors, a close relative of the reported victim, Velasquez, told his parents in February about being molested by Goulart at a home daycare in San Martín run by Goulart’s mother. .
Last month, Velasquez made his first public statement Since the allegations were made, he thanked his supporters in a social media post that described his case as “complicated” and that his faith gave him “strength in my worst times.”
A lawyer for Goulart said in April that his client was forced into hiding, and that his chances for a fair trial have been compromised after Velasquez’s alleged attempt on his life.