Por Dhara Ranasinghe y Nell Mackenzie
LondonNovember 9 – Global stocks rallied below their recent seven-week high on Wednesday and the dollar was flat as investors await the results of the US midterm election.
* Bitcoin, the largest cryptocurrency by market cap, was under pressure again, falling more than 3% to $17,917 a day after sinking 11%.
* European stock markets were lower, US stock futures were mixed and Asian stocks rose as US midterm election results became known. All it left the world stock index MSCI This is just below the seven-week high reached on Tuesday.
* Control of the US Congress was at stake after the election as many of the most competitive races were yet to be decided, leaving it unclear whether Republicans would break the Democrats’ weak hold.
* Stock markets have tended to outperform under a divided government when a Democrat is in the White House, with investors attributing some of that performance to a political impasse that prevents either side from making major political changes. Is.
* In Asia, Japan’s Nikkei stock index fell from a two-month high on poor results from video game maker Nintendo. Chinese stocks fell as data showed prices from the Chinese manufacturer fell for the first time since December 2020, underscoring weak domestic demand amid coronavirus restrictions. covid-19.
* The dollar fell 0.2% to 145.45 yen, while the euro fell slightly to $1.0064.
* US crude fell nearly 0.7% to $88.22 a barrel and Brent crude fell 0.6% to $94.78.