NEW YORK ( Associated Press) – A federal grand jury has indicted a man suspected of shooting down a New York City subway train last month – an attack that injured 10 people and is already facing a rise in violent crime. A city has been shattered.
The panel on Friday charged 62-year-old Frank James of committing a terroristic attack or other violence against a mass transportation system and discharging a firearm during a violent crime. In both cases the maximum sentence is life imprisonment. The count of weapons carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years.
James was arrested on April 13, about 30 hours after officers said he departed Philadelphia and fired a smoke bomb and dozens of shots at a train full of morning commuters as it approached Brooklyn Station. The shooting victims ranged in age from 16 to 60; Everyone hoped to survive.
Read more: Police seek motive in YouTube video of man accused of Brooklyn subway shooting
Officials said James’ bank card, cell phone and key to a rented van were found at the shooting site. Police also said that they found the weapon used in the shooting and traced it to James.
James is in jail without bail. According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, an arrest has not yet been determined.
A lawyer representing James at the time of his arrest warned not to rush the decision and noted that James informed the police of his whereabouts. James was arrested in Manhattan’s East Village after he called a tip line saying he was at a fast food restaurant in that part of town.
The motive of the attack is not clear. In several rants posted to YouTube, James, who is Black, made scathing remarks about people of various backgrounds and charges against New York Mayor Eric Adams for being jailed and for the mental health care the city received years ago. complained about.