- Advertisement -spot_img
Wednesday, August 10, 2022

He sued 8 former executives for the collapse of the Mexico Metro

MEXICO CITY ( Associated Press) — For the collapse of an elevated section of the Mexican capital’s subway that occurred in May last year, a judge ordered eight former officers to be tried for the crime of murder that killed 26 people and killed nearly a hundred. injured, judicial officials announced on Wednesday.

After a marathon hearing that lasted 26 hours, a controlling judge attached to Mexico City’s Superior Court of Justice agreed to link eight former officers to criminal proceedings for offenses of murder, injuries and property damage, he indicated. Ulysses Lara, spokesman for the Attorney General of the Mexican capital, without specifying the names of the accused.

Lara said in a video circulated on social networks that according to an investigation conducted by the prosecutor’s office, the eight former officers “had a clear, unquestionable responsibility, they had the level of command, the necessary expertise and extensive knowledge of the subject in question.” “.

A spokesman for the prosecutor’s office said eight defendants would face trial independently but would have to appear in court from time to time, and five of them were barred from leaving the country.

Among those prosecuted will be the former director of the Metro project, Enrique Horcasitas Manjarez, local media reported.

The judge’s ruling comes after the Mexico City Attorney General’s office submitted a final assessment of the accident last year. According to the Public Ministry report, the collapse of the elevated section of the metro was originally caused by “errors in its construction”, low installation of bolts and flaws in welding of the structure.

The opinion of the Attorney General’s Office coincided with a report submitted by experts and determined that there were some poorly welded, poorly positioned or completely absent bolts that were supposed to join certain steel beams to a layer of concrete that would track Support platforms were the reason for the collapse of the structure. The Mexico City government has hired Norwegian certification company DNV to investigate the cause of the incident.

After the release of the officials’ report, tycoon Carlos Slim, the richest man in Mexico with businesses in construction and telecommunications, announced that his Grupo Carso subsidiary construction company would cover the cost of rebuilding the section for construction. Other sections of the elevated line to meet higher standards in a city with seismic activity.

Metro Line 12 was built at a cost of $1.3 billion when the current Foreign Secretary, Marcelo Ebrard, was mayor of the Mexican capital. Ebrard, who is seen as one of the main contenders for the successor to President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, denied his responsibility for the accident.

The project was plagued by cost overruns and perceived design flaws, as well as corruption and conflicts of interest.

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Deskhttps://worldnationnews.com/
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here