Anxiety and depression have become an unspoken pandemic that affects Spaniards. According to the most recent data from the Ministry of Health, up to 6.7% of Spaniards suffer from an anxiety disorder, and 4.1% suffer from depression. Although social awareness about mental health has grown tremendously in recent years, there is still a large population of unknowns around whence it cannot come * and what is the best treatment.
The origins of diseases such as anxiety often have components of genetics from long-term stress or the use of drugs, there is no determination. In this sense, it is vitally important to recognize some of the symptoms, so that a specialist can approach as soon as possible and start treating someone.
Often, anxiety manifests itself in growing dependence and addiction to food. “I’m going to eat pizza today because I deserve it”, and “What you want, what you need to ask for”, are some of the most common phrases of people who turn to food to fight anxiety. With this in mind, Miguel Navarro, CEO of Salud Feroz, an online school of eating, training, and emotional comfort, and Ana Montes, clinical director of Salud Feroz, mention some of the causes and reasons that cause poor eating causes concern. and what are the steps to overcome?
Emotions can affect eating through the tendency to consume food to satisfy or control certain emotions. They produce negative emotions such as stress, depression, anxiety, or even boredom flight in the body which often translates into a desire for comfort and pleasant foods, such as sweets or carbohydrates.
On a physical level, emotions can affect grades of cortisol and serotonin which result in appetite. Cortisol, the stress hormone, can increase hunger and promote the accumulation of abdominal fat, while serotonin can reduce appetite and control cravings for sweet foods.
Anxiety can have food consumption very negative For this reason, it is important to learn how to manage emotions healthily by exercising, meditating, talking with family and friends, making fun plans, and, of course, with the help of mental health professionals.
Trying to correct bad eating habits due to anxiety is a reasonable investment motivated for which they are born;
- Eat food in times of anxiety or stress. If in moments of restlessness and fear of illness foods such as sweets, snacks, or carbohydrates are used to fight these emotions.
- Hungry without sense. If you continue to eat, even though you are not hungry, it will distract you from other problems and stabilize your emotions.
- The feeling of loss of control. This results from the inability to control the food that a person consumes in a state of anxiety, and guilt or shame after eating.
Tips for proper binge eating
Correcting these habits which are so inimical to the health of the mind and body involves woinvolveshe power of the will and the imposition of new habits;
- conscious of eating; which conveys the intention of the food that is eaten, savoring each bite and enjoying the process of eating. It also helps to be aware of hunger and body fullness cues, which can prevent overindulgence. Conscious positive eating can also control the amount of food you eat. For example, by eating several times a meal, stopping to eat when full, or avoiding distractions at lunch.
- identify and avoid Anxiety triggers using factors such as stress, anxiety, and lack of physical activity.
- food policy It can help you not to overeat because of anxiety because it allows you to control the foods that are to be eaten so that they are always nourishing foods. This is very useful to avoid excessive temptation in times of anxiety or distress.
- Why? Motion Support to reduce the emotional burden. A conversation with a clinician or family member helps facilitate the emotional process and is a way to manage anxiety by not turning it into eating. In addition, it can help you feel less isolated and more connected to others.
- exercise full attention practice that involves paying attention to the present moment without judgment. It helps to reduce anxiety as it allows you to recognize and accept thoughts and feelings without reacting to them. The best mind is to recognize those thoughts and emotions without reacting to them violently. Through mental exercise, one learns to recognize patterns of thought and behavior and, over time, to change them to prevent them from eating. This can be done through breathing exercises, meditation or yoga, doing everyday activities like washing dishes, walking, or sprays, ng. Just pay attention to the moment and focus on the person at the moment, their emotions, and thoughts without judging.