The microphone icon on your smartphone allows you to type using your voice, So, by using this feature, you do not need to physically type long paragraphs.
Although the icon should be available by default, sometimes, due to bugs and errors, it may not appear on your keyboard. however, tweaking some settings can help you get it back on your phone.
So, without further delay, let us know about the importance of microphone on your keyboard. Also, stay tuned till the end to know the easy steps to get it on your Samsung or iPhone keyboard.
How does the microphone on the keyboard work?
The microphone on our keyboard helps in converting speech to text. Basically, it uses software that understands our spoken language and converts them to a . Transposes in text using complex machine learning models,
Well, our mobile devices and PCs already have an audio file containing phonemes. These are the smallest units of sound that help to separate words when speaking.
So, when we tap the microphone icon of the keyboard and provide a command, the analog-to-digital converter Records and translates vibrations in signs.
Later, the machine learning model converts the signals into text using phonemes. Finally, our devices display the sentences we speak.
However, this technique exact not accurate, This is because there are too many factors that can turn actual words into something else.
For example, using a microphone in a location with high background noise can have a great impact on speech-to-text conversion. In such a scenario, the sentences we speak get mixed up with noise, and the converter is unable to separate the words well.
Things to keep in mind when using the microphone on the keyboard
This feature can come in handy when we are planning to send long texts or write long paragraphs. In this way, the microphone icon helps save our time and effort,
In addition, it is a useful feature for persons with disabilities. When our injuries prevent us from typing, we can speak them easily, and the microphone turns them into text.
However, there are many things to consider before using this tool. Here we have listed some of them:
- You need to speak slowly and fluently, avoiding any accentuation.
- Since the tool uses speech-to-text technology, you should avoid loud music or noise.
- More than one person should not use the microphone at the same time. If you really have to, you should talk to one person at a time.
- Since this technique is not accurate, you should not rely solely on it. If you used the microphone to type long paragraphs, there are some edits you’ll have to do yourself.
how to get microphone on samsung keyboard
Undoubtedly, Samsung is one of the most used phones in the world. Furthermore, its default keyboard offers a microphone icon in the top section.
Yours may not show it for some reason. Nevertheless, we have included the steps required to get the icons on your Samsung keyboard below.
Make sure you enable the default Samsung keyboard
Before proceeding, make sure that you have not used any third-party keyboard. Although most microphones provide, some cannot. Therefore, we recommend using the default Samsung keyboard, and here’s how you can enable it:
- Tap on the Settings icon and go to general management,
- Next, navigate keyboard list and default,
- Select and select the default keyboard samsung keyboard,
enable google app
For some reason, you must have disabled your Google application. Since Google Voice typing is only available when the Google app is turned on, you must first enable it:
- Launch Google Playstore.
- search and open google Official application provided by Google LLC,
- Then, tap on the Enabled option.
Turn on Google Voice Typing
Once you have made your Samsung keyboard as the default keyboard, check if the microphone icon is present. If not, you need to make simple changes to the settings. Here’s what you have to do:
- go to Adjustment , general management , keyboard list and default,
- Under All, you will find google voice typing alternative. Make sure you enable it.
- Finally, press OK, and you are ready to go.
Note: The above steps are for the Samsung Galaxy A21s. Different Samsung models may have different settings, but the method should be pretty much the same.
Check microphone location on keyboard
Now, make sure you’ve got the microphone icon on your default Samsung keyboard. To check this, follow the steps given below:
- First of all open any text editor on your smartphone.
- Once the keyboard pops up, check the microphone Panel where all other icons are located,
- Tap the icon, and Google Voice Typing opens.
- Then, bring the smartphone to you and start speaking. To stop, you can press the icon again.
How do I get the microphone on the iOS keyboard?
If you’re an iPhone or iPad user, you’ll probably find the microphone icon next to the Space key. But, if it’s not there, follow this general guideline:
- Go to Settings on your iOS device.
- Scroll down and select General.
- Next, go to Keyboard.
- Then, find and turn on Enable Dictation alternative. If it’s already on, disable and enable it back.
- Launch any text editing tool or messaging app to check the microphone icon.
- Tap the microphone icon next to the space bar.
- Now, your iOS device asks to help you improve Siri and Dictation If you are using the microphone for the first time. So, tap on share… switch.
- Next, press share audio recording switch.
- Finally, you can start using the tool. To return to keyboard mode, press the keyboard icon.
Note: The location of the microphone icon may vary depending on your iOS model.
How to Get the Microphone on Gboard
Gboard is a popular virtual keyboard provided by Google, which provides access to some features that a default keyboard cannot.
Well, you guessed it already – Gboard has a microphone icon just like a normal keyboard. But, if you don’t see it, check out each step below.
Make Gboard your default keyboard
If you haven’t made Gboard your default keyboard, make sure you do so first. Here’s how you can do that:
- go for Settings > General Management > Keyboard List & Defaults,
- Under All, make sure the Gboard option is enabled.
- Once you get an attention message, press OK.
- Next, tap on default keyboard Select Options and choose Gboard as your input method.
For iOS users, you can choose Gboard directly from the default keyboard. Keep tapping on the language icon until you find Gboard.
Enable use of voice typing option
You are not seeing the microphone icon on the virtual keyboard because the Use voice typing option is disabled. To turn it on, here are the steps you need to follow on Android and iOS.
- Launch the Gboard application on your device.
- Next, go here voice typing,
- then, enable use voice typing alternative.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Gboard app.
- Next, choose keyboard settings,
- find and enable voice input alternative.
Check Microphone Location on GBoard
Once the Voice Input option is enabled, you can easily navigate to and use the virtual keyboard:
- First, launch any messaging app or text editor on your phone.
- Tap on the microphone icon upper right edge of keyboard.
- If you’re using it for the first time, you’ll be asked to allow Gboard to record audio. just tap while using the app either Only this time according to your wish.
- Then, tap on the microphone icon again and start using the tool.