Ian Orlando area electrical workers were on their way Thursday afternoon to repair thousands of homes that were left without electricity.
Michelle Lynch, a spokeswoman for the Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC), said damage assessments were in the area early Thursday afternoon and that the crew were able to make some repairs.
But major works involving flooding, fallen trees, broken wires and broken transformers won’t begin immediately, Lynch said, as winds were potentially too unstable for bucket trucks to operate for the rest of Thursday.
Of the approximately 260,000 customers, between 67,000 and 72,000 of OUC’s customers did not have electricity in Orlando and St. Cloud had 5,500 customers.
Lynch said another wave of reinforcements would arrive on Friday, when large-scale repairs are expected to begin. She said it could take up to 48 hours to determine the estimated time for restoration or the ETR timeline.
Duke Energy, the second-largest utility in the state and the largest in Central Florida, began repairs Thursday afternoon, allowing the use of utility trucks to wait for the winds to die down. Cube.
With about 2 million in Florida, Duke Energy has a big job ahead of it. The storm has so far cut power for more than 680,000 customers, with more outages expected by Thursday as the storm’s outbreak slowly subsides.
Power was restored to more than 185,000 customers in Florida as of 2 p.m. A Duke spokesman could not say whether any of them were from the Orlando area.
In Orange County, 158,000 of the 414,000 customers were without electricity. Customers without electricity in neighboring countries were 26,000 out of 94,000 in the lake, 14,000 out of 59,000 in Osceola, 100,000 out of 165,000 in Seminole, and 74,000 out of 88,000 in Volusia.
Estimated duke restoration times will be initiated by the county. Restoration times for Pasco and Pinellas counties were to be announced Thursday at 8 p.m.
For the most affected counties, including Highlands, Polk and Volusia, restoration times will be announced at 6 p.m. Friday.
For all other counties, reinstatement times will be announced by 10 a.m. Friday.
The Winter Park Municipal Electric Service serves approximately 16,000 customers and as of Thursday afternoon there were a count of 2,500 without electricity. The crew was supposed to converge on Thursday afternoon, but no resumption schedule was provided.
City spokeswoman Clarissa Howard said reinforcements would arrive in Winter Park from Michigan on Friday and from Nebraska on Saturday.
The Kissimi Public Utilities Authority in North Osceola County had about 15,000 customers out of a total of 90,000 without electricity. The line crew had restored power to all 3,765 customers by Thursday afternoon.
Spokesperson Tiffany Henderson said about 2,400 of those 3,765 would experience extended outages due to the devastating flooding.
He said there would be no power restoration until flooding in areas of Good Samaritan Village, North Brack Street, Tarpon Street, Indian Point Circle, Woodside Circle, Pebble Point Way and North Central Avenue.
The state’s largest electricity provider, Florida Power and Light Co., had 1.2 million customers without electricity, but service was restored to 700,000 early Thursday afternoon.
This story was published by a reporter in the Orlando Sentinel kevin spear, It was translated by journalist Jose Javier Perez.