It is difficult to find an activity or product that cannot be bought on the Internet. The web has made life easier for many people: distance is no longer a problem in personal relationships, you can buy products without leaving your sofa, you can get information about anything with a single click… Many times we enter personal data and information without thinking that it might have consequences, or we download files without checking whether our device is being breached. need to take into account Learn about security on the web and how to protect yourself from attacks,
What is Internet Security?
As the name suggests, the Internet Security Describes the stability of activities and transactions carried out through the web. It is the branch of computer security that deals with identifying and preventing risks and threats affecting networks. The term covers topics such as browser security, network security, online behavior…
internet is for security Fight against hackers, virus or malware and cyber attacks that attempt to obtain the identity of other people and companies. One of the objectives is to establish rules and measures to prevent, eliminate or reduce the problems caused by cyber criminals.
Why should internet security be taken care of?
nowadays No network is safe from attacksTherefore, to protect customer and company data, it is important to keep internet security in mind.
Cyber attacks can lead to loss, theft or sabotage of sensitive data. To avoid these, it is necessary to follow some safety rules.
What are the dangers?
There are different types of threats we can find on the internet and in order to avoid them it is important to know what they are.
- hack: They exploit network vulnerabilities to obtain sensitive data or steal information. Another action taken by hackers is Use remote systems to break into computers and obtain information, Since the pandemic, the use of remote systems has become widespread, but RDP needs to be well protected to prevent hackers from exploiting security breaches to penetrate computers. Hackers use a variety of techniques to exploit vulnerabilities in remote systems until they gain complete access to a network and its equipment.
- Phishing: Phishing is becoming one of the most widespread forms of cyberattacks. criminals use fake email To get the data of the victims. They trick users into believing that the content is genuine so that they enter a link and enter their data or download a malware, Despite the fact that this form of cyberattack is widespread and most common today, it originated in the 90s. This is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to steal information.
- Botnets: los botnet son botnets, Bots are computers that have been intentionally infected with a program so that they can perform automated tasks without the consent of the computers’ owners. Computers are infected in the same way as malware.
- ransomwareRansomware is a type of malware that Blocks you from using the computer until the ransom is paid, It is distributed in the same way as Trojans and once installed locks the screen or certain files until a payment is made. To maintain anonymity, cyber criminals demand payment in cryptocurrencies and the price can vary. Once the money is deposited, there is no guarantee that the instrument will be released.
- malware: Malware is nothing more than a malicious software, Any software whose purpose is to harm a computer is considered malware. Within this section we find Viruses, Trojans and Worms.
- loss computer viruses They act like biological viruses: they attach themselves to a program, replicate themselves, and spread from one computer to another. Once a virus infects a computer, it makes copies of itself to attach itself to other files and continues to spread.
- loss Trojan They are a type of malware that reads passwords through keystrokes and manages to “open the door” for other viruses. What havoc it can wreak is deleting, blocking, modifying or copying data.
- worm Teams aim to take down Just like viruses, they replicate themselves and distribute themselves to other computers via email, pen drives… The difference between worms and viruses is that they do not infect files. Can
How to protect yourself on the Internet?
- Enable multi-factor authentication: To access an account, the system requires two or more identity verification steps.
- install a firewall: Acts as a barrier between your computer and other networks. They block unwanted traffic and malware trying to infect the computer. It is important that the firewall is always up to date.
- Choose a Secure Browser: Leading browsers in the market have advantages and disadvantages and it is good to know which one is best for us.
- Use a Reliable Password ManagerStrong passwords are hard to remember and that’s why administrators exist, but it’s important to make sure they’re strong. A password must be at least 12 characters long; Add uppercase, lowercase, letters, numbers, symbols…; And it doesn’t have deductible key commands.
- Install an Antivirus and Keep It Updated: To keep online data safe, it is necessary that the antivirus is always updated.
Privacy and Security, what is it?
At this point it is important to know the difference between confidentiality why data security, Privacy is about ensuring that only authorized people can access data while security is about protecting against malware.
Encrypted data is private, but it is not necessarily secure.
It is also important not to confuse privacy with data security. data security This refers to ensuring that an organization has a way to restore provided content after it is lost in an attack.
Tips for Improving Security
To browse the web safely, there are seven tips to follow:
- Use complex and different passwords for each account: One of the main security flaws is related to passwords. For the time being, when creating new passwords, different sites recommend, or insist, that they contain alphanumeric characters separately and combine them with other symbols. Easy to remember passwords are also easy for cyber criminals to guess. Present password managers Which remembers all the passwords for you, but it is important that the administrator password is complex to prevent them from stealing everything you enter.
- Do not accept invitations from strangers on social networks: Cybercriminals create fake profiles to establish relationships with users and find out information of interest. Never give data or information to people you don’t know online.
- protect personal information: Content published on the Internet lives forever, except in the rare occasions that it can be removed entirely. It is important to know that there can be a copy of everything that is published and it can come to light at the most unexpected moment. Don’t put personal information you don’t want them to know because it’s not in your hands once it’s published.
- be careful where you poke: Downloading malware is one of the biggest threats on the web. Make sure all the information you enter on your computer is from official sites.
- Keep your privacy and antivirus up to date: Cyber criminals are dedicated to figuring out how to avoid antivirus, so it’s important to always have the latest updates.
- use a secure connection: When you access the Internet through a public network, you do not have control over security. If you must use this type of connection, don’t make purchases or provide important data.
- ask for advice: Cyber criminals play with time. If the victim doesn’t stop to reflect, it’s easy to fall for it, which is why it’s important to stop to think or ask questions before doing any activity that might seem suspicious to us.
In addition to these tips, it is also recommended to cover the webcam camera, block ads, set parental controls on minors, clean the computer more often or delete the history.
internet security products
There are seven basic tools that are essential to maintaining security on your computer:
- Software Antivirus.
- Antispyware: Works against spyware.
- Security Suite: Prevents all types of attacks.
- browser extension.
- VPN Programs: Information travels encrypted.
- AntiCloggers: Scan computers looking for malware.