(CNN) — An independent investigation revealed systematic abuse and misconduct in professional women’s football in the United States. The report, led by former Acting Attorney General Sally Q Yates and released Monday, is based on more than 200 interviews and reveals that the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) under the United States Soccer Federation (US Soccer) did not provide did. Safe environment for players.
“Our investigation revealed a league (NWSL) in which abuse and misconduct – verbal and emotional abuse and sexual misconduct – had been settled involving multiple coaching teams and victims,” the report said. has gone.
“Abuse in the NWSL is rooted in a deep structure in women’s football, beginning in youth leagues, which normalizes verbal abuse by coaches and blurs the lines between coaches and players.”
The NWSL said on Monday that it would review the findings.
In a statement, the league said in part: “We recognize the anxiety and mental stress caused by these pending investigations and the trauma – including players and staff – is having to resurface.”
“The findings of this investigation are heartbreaking and deeply worrying,” said US Soccer President Cindy Parlow Coen. “The abuse described is unforgivable and has no place in any playground, training facility or workplace. As the national governing body of our sport, US Soccer does everything in its power to ensure We are committed to ensuring that all players – at all levels – have a safe and dignified place to learn, grow and compete.”