- Advertisement -spot_img
Sunday, June 26, 2022

Kevin Spacey free to return to US after appearing in court in London

Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey is free to fly to the US after a court heard he “strongly dismissed” three men’s sexual assault allegations.

That former Hollywood star, 62, was asked not to plead for four counts of sexual assault and engaging in penetrative sexual activity without a man’s consent when he appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on Thursday.

The charges relate to three men, now aged between 30 and 40, in London and Gloucestershire between 2005 and 2013, while Spacey was artistic director of The Old Vic Theater in London.

Spacey smiled and nodded at Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram while granting the House of Cards star unconditional bail ahead of his next appearance at Southwark Crown Court on July 14.

close

Actor Kevin Spacey arrives at Westminster Magistrates’ Court (Jonathan Brady / PA)

The court heard that Spacey lives in the US, where he has family and a nine-year-old dog, and is required to be in the country to audition for the job.

“Mr. Spacey vehemently denies any and all criminality in this case,” defended Patrick Gibbs QC.

“He has to answer these allegations if he is to move on with his life.”

Spacey was surrounded by photographers as he walked into court wearing a blue suit with teal suede brogues and a dark patterned tie.

video of the day

After exiting the Silver Mercedes he is escorted to a building surrounded by members of his legal team and two police officers.

Spacey did not comment, but smiled as he was escorted past a line of other court attendees and before passing security through the entrance.

close

Actor Kevin Spacey leaves court (Jonathan Brady / PA)

He stood in the dock to confirm his name as Kevin Spacey Fowler, his London address and his date of birth in a flat in Waterloo.

During the 28-minute hearing, Spacey glanced at the sometimes packed press bench and the entire public gallery.

Prosecutor Natalie Dawson did not provide any further details of the allegations beyond the charges, which the court’s legal adviser read.

They include: two counts of sexual assault on a man, now in his 40s, in London in March 2005, sexual assault on a man, now in his 30s, and penetrative sexual activity without consent Inspires to be involved in, in London in August 2008, the sexual assault on a man, now 30, in Gloucestershire in April 2013.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) authorized charges against him last month, but American Spacey could only be formally charged when he traveled to the UK earlier this week.

Mr Ikram withdrew an arrest warrant issued weeks ago when the court heard Spacey arrived in London on Monday to receive a mailing demand.

After asking whether he could address the defendant as Mr. Spacey, the judge said: “You have cooperated I am told with the officers in New York and you have voluntarily participated in these proceedings here today. “

Spacey, a two-time Oscar winner, best known for starring in American Beauty and The Usual Suspects, previously said he would travel to the UK to face the charges.

In a statement issued to Good Morning America following the CPS’s announcement, he said: “While I am disappointed by their decision to proceed, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as possible and defend myself against these allegations, which I believe I will prove my innocence.”

Spacey, who was artistic director at The Old Vic between 2004 and 2015, smiled again as he left the courtroom before getting into his waiting car.

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Deskhttps://worldnationnews.com/
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here