A court has heard that Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey has “strongly denied” allegations of sexually assaulting three men.
He was asked not to plead the 62-year-old former Hollywood star on four counts of sexual assault and one for engaging in penetrative sexual activity without a man’s consent when he appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on Thursday.
Deputy District Judge Tan Ikram granted him unconditional bail ahead of his next appearance at Southwark Crown Court on 14 July.
Defending Patrick Gibbs QC said: “Mr. Spacey vehemently denies any and all criminality in this case.”
Spacey was surrounded by photographers as he walked into court wearing a blue suit with teal suede brogues and a dark patterned tie.
After exiting the Silver Mercedes he is escorted to a building surrounded by members of his legal team and two police officers.
Spacey did not comment, but smiled as he was escorted past a line of other court attendees and before passing security through the entrance.
He stood in the courtroom to confirm his name as Kevin Spacey Fowler, his London address and date of birth in a flat in Waterloo.
video of the day
The charges relate to three men, now in their 30s and 40s, in London and Gloucestershire between 2005 and 2013, while Spacey was artistic director of The Old Vic Theater in London.
The charges, read out by the court’s legal adviser, include two counts of sexual assault in March 2005 on a man in London, now 40; sexually assaulting a man, now 30, in London in August 2008, and involving him in penetrative sexual activity without consent; and a sexual assault on a man, now 30, in Gloucestershire in April 2013.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) authorized charges against Spacey last month, but the American could only be formally charged after he had traveled to the UK earlier this week.
Mr Ikram withdrew an arrest warrant issued weeks ago when the court heard Spacey arrived in London on Monday to receive a postal demand.
Spacey, a two-time Oscar winner best known for starring in American Beauty, The Usual Suspects and House of Cards, previously said he would travel to the UK to face charges.
In a statement issued to Good Morning America following the CPS’s announcement, he said: “While I am disappointed by their decision to proceed, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as possible and defend myself against these allegations, which I believe I will prove my innocence.”
Spacey was artistic director at The Old Vic between 2004 and 2015.