LONDON ( Associated Press) – Kevin Spacey “strongly denies” allegations of sexual assaultHis lawyer said on Thursday, as the Oscar-winning actor appeared in a London court to face five charges of crimes against three people.
Spacey, 62, was joined by photographers and television camera personnel when he arrived at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London for a preliminary hearing.
During the half-hour hearing, Spacey sat on the glass-fronted dock, standing to give his full name – Kevin Spacey Fowler – as well as his date of birth and London address.
He was not asked to file a formal petition, but his attorney, Patrick Gibbs, said: “Mr. Spacey vehemently denies any criminality in this case.”
Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram granted Spacey unconditional bail until his next appearance, a plea to be heard on July 14.
Former “House of Cards” Star He has been charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of engaging in penetrative sexual activity without consent.
The alleged incidents took place in London between March 2005 and August 2008 and in western England on April 1, 2013. The victims are now in their 30s and 40s.
In a statement released last month, Spacey said he would travel to Britain to face the charges and was confident he would “prove my innocence.”
Spacey was questioned by British police in 2019 about claims by several men that he had attacked them. The two-time Academy Award winner ran London’s Old Vic Theater between 2004 and 2015.
Spacey won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for the 1995 film “The Usual Suspects” and a lead actor Oscar for the 1999 film “American Beauty.”
But his famous career came to an abrupt halt in 2017 when actor Anthony Rapp alleged The star of attacking him at a party in the 1980s, when Rap was a teenager. Spacey has denied the allegations.