Last year, an arbiter ruled that Kevin Spacey and his production companies owe MRC, the studio behind Netflix’s House of Cards, nearly $ 31 million in breach of contract following multiple allegations of sexual harassment against the actor.
The arbitrator’s secret decision, issued 13 months ago, was made public on Monday, when MRC lawyers petitioned a California court to uphold the decision.
Mr. Spacey was once the centerpiece of the hit Netflix series that ran for six seasons from 2013 to 2018. Mr. Spacey played the main character, cunning politician Frank Underwood, and was the executive producer of the series.
While the sixth and final season was filming in 2017, actor Anthony Rapp accused Mr. Spacey of sexually harassing him in 1986 when Mr. Rapp was 14 years old. MRC and Netflix have suspended production on the series while investigating.
Mr. Rapp’s public accusation came just weeks after The New York Times and The New Yorker ran articles about producer Harvey Weinstein and as the #MeToo movement picked up steam.
By December 2017, following new charges against Mr. Spacey, including by members of the House of Cards film crew, MRC and Netflix fired the actor from the series.
In the arbitration, the MRC argued that due to Mr. Spacey’s behavior, the studio lost millions of dollars because it had already spent time and money developing, writing and filming the final season. It also says it earned less revenue because the season had to be shortened to eight episodes out of 13 due to Mr. Spacey’s character being cast.
The arbitrator apparently agreed, awarding nearly $ 31 million in awards, including damages and attorney fees.
Mr. Spacey’s lawyer declined to comment.
The MRC said in a statement, “The safety of our people, equipment and work environment is of the utmost importance to MRC and therefore we have decided to pursue accountability.”