Activists participating in the campaign to recall Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon are expected to give hundreds of thousands of petition signatures in support of the county’s effort on Wednesday.
Organizers of the months-long “Recall George Gascon” campaign said they would bring more than 566,857 signed petitions in a truck to the Los Angeles County Registrar of Voters to launch a recall election to remove the controversial top prosecutor. Shocked by the allegation of leniency on the crime.
“The sheer magnitude of this effort, and the time and investment required to get to this point, is how strong is the public’s desire to remove George Gascon,” campaign workers said in a statement to Fox News.
“From day one, this recall has been led by victims who have been abandoned, ignored and dismissed by Gascon. When the recall is qualified, it will no longer be able to ignore them.”
He also pointed to 37 cities in California that have taken a “no-confidence” vote against Gascon.
To force a recall vote in November, campaigners had to collect signatures from 10 percent of all registered voters in Los Angeles County, which would then be counted and verified. Wednesday is the last date for signing.
Since taking office in December 2020, Gascon has faced increasing criticism over his progressive directives on prosecuting reform in the county, including a rule against seeking the death penalty, a ban on transferring juvenile defendants to adult court, and most Includes a ban on filing sentencing enhancements. case
Opponents of Gascon have argued that the directives undermined the criminal justice system and contributed to the rising crime rate in LA County.
In recent weeks, the embattled chief prosecutor has been convicted for the deaths of two El Monte police officers who were killed on June 14 in a shootout with suspect William Flores – a man with a long criminal record who is currently on probation. But was.
Gascon defended his office’s handling of the Flores case, saying the suspect had “no history of violence”, despite having previously pleaded guilty to charges of gun and drug possession.
A little more than a week later, Gascon’s policies were back in the spotlight with regard to the case of Victor Bibiano, who allegedly committed the murder of a homeless man stemming from a double homicide only eight years after being released from prison. of which he was convicted as a juvenile.
Bibiano regains his independence after Gascon’s office refuses to attend a transfer hearing to determine whether he should be reintroduced as an adult.
Gascon has repeatedly defended its policies and portrayed the recall effort as a Republican-led political power grab.
In a fundraising message to his supporters last week, Gascon warned that if his opponents were successful in recalling him, “they would reverse all our progress.”