Santa Ana, California – Attorneys for Mary’s Kitchen, which provides services to temporary residents of Orange, filed a request for a temporary restraining order in federal court on September 15 to try to prevent the city from expelling the non-profit organization.
The lawyer stated in the complaint: “For thirty years, Mary’s Kitchen has been the only provider of services for homeless adults without children in Orange.” “The day shelter is designed to promote their religious beliefs. Those who need sustenance and respite provide services.
“Repeatedly, the city has identified Mary’s Kitchen as a resource that meets the state’s statutory housing elements required to approve the city’s overall development plan. The city not only proposed Mary’s Kitchen’s services to meet state legal requirements, but also identified day shelters as For the services available from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the City of Orange and Orange County have excluded Mary’s Kitchen as a model service provider, and the government does not have to bear any costs.”
But now city officials want the organization to withdraw its property by 517 W. Struck Ave. by September 18.
City government spokesperson Paul Sitkoff said: “Our city’s legal counsel has reviewed the document and believes it is unfounded.”
He said that lawyers in the city are working hard to respond.
“As far as we are concerned, this will not change the situation. We expect Mary’s Kitchen will move out of the city’s property no later than Saturday, September 18.”
Sitkov said that city officials were unable to respond further.
The lawyers representing Mary’s Kitchen are the same as those involved in the Anaheim riverbed clean-up litigation, which led to a major settlement in the county that allowed the city to clean up camps for the homeless and provide shelters for transit people.
It is not clear whether this temporary restraining order request is related to the settlement. It was assigned to U.S. District Judge James Selna instead of U.S. District Judge David O. Carter, who oversaw the previous settlement.
The lawyer said that Mary’s Kitchen provides “full service” to approximately 330 people, most of whom have one or more disabilities.
These services include meals, addresses for temporary residents’ mailing benefits, places to clean and use bathrooms, charging stations for electronic devices, clothing and laundry, and medical appointments.
The shelter is located near the city’s police station. Lawyers said it was struggling during the COVID-19 pandemic because it closed and restricted services last year.
City officials issued a warning to Mary’s Kitchen in September 2020, saying it was worried about temporary personnel wandering around the shelter and asked the non-profit organization to hire a private professional security company. The lawyer said that Mary’s kitchen did this at a “huge price.”
The lawyer said that after the city government issued a notice to move out of the property, officials provided services to the homeless for the “first time” last month.
The lawyer said in court documents: “This happened only once in the last month. It seems to be a hype for the media, not a help for Mary’s kitchen guests.”
The lawyer said no one helped recruit participants to participate in the state’s asylum program.
This News Originally From – The Epoch Times