The Ministry of Transport, Mobility, and Urban Agenda (Mitma) has placed a service contract for the amount of 2.9 million euros (including VAT) for the drafting of the B-21 highway project for the new access to the port of Barcelona in the section between the Cornellá junction and kilometer point 0.510 of the main axis of the said future road. The corresponding notification has been published in the Official Gazette of the State.
This project is part of the “Collaboration Protocol for the promotion and achievement of the New Southern Access, road and rail, to the Port of Barcelona and for the development of the planning and management of the Barcelona Logistics Node”, signed on October 7, 2020, by Mitma, Generalitat de Catalunya, Adif, State Ports, and Port Authority of Barcelona, which agreed to promote the action called “New South access, road and rail, to the port of Barcelona”.
The action is divided into two projects, with the General Directorate of Highways (DGC) of Mitma corresponding to the layout and construction project, which is now placed in the pipeline and whose estimated work budget amounts to 98.5 million euros (VAT included).
This project will be coordinated by a second, the drafting already issued by Adif, for the access to the railway and the continuation of the road, from km 0.510 to its end at km 5.143, and whose information can be found in this connection: Mitma has put to tender for 12.2 million euros the drafting of construction projects for the southern channels of the Port of Barcelona.
Project characteristics of the new access from the B-21 highway
The project whose promotion corresponds to the DGC consists of the development of the axis of the road from the starting point, approximately 1,000 m northwest of the Cornellá interchange, with the extension of the platform of the A-2 highway to km 0.510 of the main road of the new access highway to the Port.
The main actions included in this project are the following:
- Widening the roadway on the A-2 highway, giving it at least one more lane in each direction.
- Demolition and replacement of the overpass over the A-2 highway.
- The expansion of the six existing structures, maintaining the structural typology of the existing ones
- Implementation of three new structures:
- The E7 structure, which crosses the stream of the old Llobregat river,
- The E8 structure, which crosses the A-2 highway,
- Structure E9, which crosses the old Llobregat river
- Killing the walls, mainly reinforced concrete.
- Changing service roads
- The expansion of the existing drainage works, adapting them to the new widths of the platform, as well as the definition of the new actions required
- Action on existing services that guarantees their replacement and the corresponding expropriations
However, additional needs can be obtained from the analysis of the basic project and the completion of a new traffic study, especially for the design of the connection and partition of the new port road together with the link to Cornellá and L’Hospitalet.