Had Marion Hawkins not known that it was her son who fell from a top-level balcony at a Harry Styles concert, she might have thought it was a “blow-up doll”.
The 39-year-old Scottish mother is shocked – yet grateful – that her 20-year-old son, Dylan Wood, is “relatively unheard” of his horrific accident in Glasgow, a former Scottish boy bander, on Saturday.
“I wish I hadn’t seen the video,” Hawkins admitted to The Sun about the fan-drawn footage of Plummet. “You get a picture in your mind of what it looks like, but it was horrible to watch.”
Hawkins was in bed when he received the dreaded call that Wood had been injured and was in the hospital.
“He is in high dependency (intensive care) because of his head and they have to keep an eye on him. She has concealer and no breaks. He has two black eyes which I think probably hurt his face, his nose was bleeding and that’s it,” she said. “He has a pain in his shoulder but nothing is broken.”
She said it was emotional to see her son on a ventilator for a day to stabilize him, but it’s a “total miracle” that Wood is doing much better now.
“We are all very relieved,” Hawkins shared, adding that he was “really exhausted and upset” about the unusual – and alarming – incident.
His mother revealed, “I went to the hospital for his asthma only twice in Dylan’s entire life, and then he turned 20 and his knee cap broke and he needed a major operation.”
“And he still went to work and everything else,” he said of Wood, an electrical engineer. “He just gets on with it.”
Despite Wood’s lack of prior health fears, Hawkins said he would have used the rest of his fortune on the incident.
“I think he has used up all his chips. All his life is over now, and mine is too,” she said.
“They won’t be allowed to do anything where they might get hurt now.”