when they found out weeks ago that America The first reported case of polio in nearly ten years was that of a young New Yorker who had become paralyzed, Brittany Strickland shivering with “fear”.
Look here: Turbine stops gas flow through Gazprom Nord Stream after oil spill
,it’s scary. We didn’t think this would happen here, The 33-year-old woman was interviewed by AFP in Pomona, a city in New York’s Rockland County, 50 kilometers to the north. manhattan,
,My mother was against vaccination and realized that I was not vaccinated against polio in my childhood, This designer confesses that he has just received his first dose against a virus that had practically disappeared.
In mid-August, the health officials of nueva York warned that this disease highly contagious that spreads through fecesSewage was found to contain discharge from the nose and throat or from drinking contaminated water.
one discovery “worrying but not surprising”, according to officials, who believe “the virus is probably spreading locally” and New Yorkers who have not yet been vaccinated should do so as soon as possible.
mid july The first confirmed case of polio was reported in Rockland County, The first in the United States since 2013.
check here: “The threat of disaster remains latent”: what changes after the visit of the UN to the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant
60% of children vaccinated
in the city of nueva York86% of children aged six months to five years have received three doses of the vaccineWhich means the remaining 14% is not completely safe.
in the county of rocklandOnly 60% of two-year-olds are vaccinated, compared to 79% in the state nueva York Overall and 92% nationwide, according to health officials.
loss Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) He said “concerned” and sent experts to the state nueva York To improve detection and vaccination this summer, as it is a disease that can have “devastating and irreversible consequences”.
Poliomyelitis, which mainly affects the youngest people and causes paralysis, has been practically eradicated in the world, with the exception of poor countries such as Pakistan and Afghanistan,
In America -Where a President, Franklin Rooseveltcontracted it in 1921, at the age of 39 – the number of infections fell in the late 1950s (15,000 cases of paralysis per year at the time), thanks to the first vaccine.
Look here: Apple Cars Doesn’t Exist Yet, But It’s Already In The Top 3 Brands That Users Will “Definitely” Consider Buying
dangers of oral vaccine
The last natural infection in the country dates back to 1979.
But health officials know that, in rare cases (2% to 4% of a million vaccinated children), non-vaccinated people Could have been contaminated by others who received the vaccine orally.
This vaccine administered in ampoule is prohibited America since 2000, but World Health Organizationdiscovered in June that a type of polio virus Obtained from oral vaccines in London sewage.
Rockland case analysis suggests that the young New Yorker’s infection would have come from a person who was vaccinated orally.
oral vaccine Replication in the intestine and can be transmitted through sewage containing feces.
Fewer viruses than natural viruses, although this type may be cause severe symptoms such as paralysis of the limbs.
and since the patient rockland Have not traveled abroad, state officials nueva York They believe the disease was spread locally, in the county.
check here: Day like today: Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon-Shinzo linked to assassination of Abedise
A large community lives in this quiet, green and wooded residential suburb Orthodox Jews
According to local publications, the Rockland patient is an Orthodox Jewish American in his twenties.
How does the communicator recognize Shoshanna BernsteinYour community is traditionally against vaccines because “No separate and closed group”.
In a public letter released last week, A dozen rabbis urged Jews to get vaccinated, a message that Bernstein Looking to share and repeat.
For this, it wants to trust “The Oldest Jew”, remember that polio Can celebrate more obstinate youth from the 1950s.
More Pessimistic, University of Virologists nueva York John Dennehy, who until now thought polio was “on the verge of extinction”, now fears the Rockland case is “the tip of the iceberg”.