NEW YORK – Governor Cathy Hochul announced Tuesday that all New Yorkers enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) will receive the maximum allowable level of food benefits for January.
All families participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, including those already at the maximum benefit level, will receive a supplemental allocation this month, resulting in an infusion of nearly $234 million in federal funds from New York to the state economy Will happen.
“These temporary additional food benefits have helped hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers avoid food insecurity at a time when many are struggling with shrinking household budgets,” said Governor Hochul. “This aid has helped New York recover from the pandemic, helping to put healthy, nutritious food on the table for families and individuals, providing much-needed relief to New Yorkers.”
The Emergency Assistance Supplement will be provided to all families who receive benefits from SNAP, a federally funded program overseen by New York State’s Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA).
All households, including those already receiving the maximum benefit for household size and households that previously received a monthly supplement of less than $95, will receive a supplement of at least $95.
OTDA began issuing emergency supplemental benefits in April 2020 to SNAP households who were receiving less than the maximum monthly benefit amount. When New York State’s emergency declaration expires in June 2021, the agency continues to work with the federal government to secure the maximum allocation for all SNAP households until the federal public health emergency declaration expires, which has been extended through January tha and let OTDA continue to release these benefits through Feb.
Starting in March, SNAP recipients will only receive their regular monthly benefit going forward. Click here for more information.
New Yorkers continue to rely heavily on SNAP, according to Hochul’s office, with more than 1.6 million households including more than 2.8 million New Yorkers statewide as of November.
“Governor Hochul’s announcement of additional food assistance for families participating in SNAP is a win for working families and reinforces our efforts to support those who need it most in all of our communities and across the state.” is,” said Rep. Adriano Espilette. “Providing this much-needed relief will help ensure that 2.8 million New Yorkers can meet their needs and get the support they need and deserve.”
As in previous months, payments will be sent directly to recipients’ existing EBT accounts and can be used with their existing EBT cards. Like regular SNAP benefits, supplemental benefits can be used to buy food at licensed retail food stores. Any unused SNAP benefits will automatically be carried over to the next month.
New Yorkers interested in enrolling can click here to pressure check their eligibility as well as apply online.