- Advertisement -spot_img
Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Nick Sandmann makes an agreement with NBC

Nicholas Sandmann announced that he had reached a settlement with NBCUniversal more than two years after Sandmann filed a libel suit against the media company.

“Currently I would like to publish this NBC and I have reached a settlement. The terms are confidential, ”said the 19-year-old from Kentucky. tweeted

According to documents (pdf) filed December 17 in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky, both parties agreed to close the case “with bias and in full” without a court order.

Dismissal of the claim “with prejudice” means that Sandmann cannot resubmit the claim in this court.

NBC was among several media outlets that Sandmann sued for libel after media reports claimed he and other students stalked Indian Nathan Phillips during the January 18, 2019 incident. Covington Catholic High School, along with other students, attended the March for Life anti-abortion rally in Washington.

Sandmann and other students faced threats and accusations from many people, including public figures, after the publication of these stories.

Short videos of Sandmann wearing a MAGA (Make America Great Again) hat face-to-face with Phillips at the Lincoln Memorial went viral. Its short length gave the impression that Sandmann and fellow students were bumping into Phillips. Phillips himself told several media outlets that he was harassed and harassed by students.

But a longer version of the video revealed that Phillips was actually reaching out to Sandmann. Phillips sang and beat the drum, while Sandmann stopped and smiled in response.

Read Also:  Biden meets with major retailers to discuss the holiday supply chain

Following the release of the longer 15-minute video, many of the public figures who initially made statements against Sandmann have apologized, denied or simply deleted their statements.

On May 1, 2019, Sandmann, who was 16 and at the time attending Covington Catholic High School, filed a defamation lawsuit (pdf) against NBCUniversal, claiming $ 275 million.

“NBCUniversal created a false story by portraying the ‘confrontation’ as a ‘hate crime’ committed by Nicholas,” the lawsuit says.

Lawyers described Sandmann in the original lawsuit as “a 16-year-old student who stood calmly for several minutes after an unexpected collision with no explanation from Nathan Phillips,” and said that Phillips “beat a drum and sang loudly a few inches from [Sandmann’s] face on January 18, 2019 at the Lincoln Memorial. “

According to the suit, Sandmann was “an easy target for NBCUniversal to promote its anti-Trump program because he was a 16-year-old white Catholic student who attended the Right to Life march that day and was wearing a MAGA cap. the time of the incident, which he bought earlier that day as a souvenir. “

Previously, Sandmann reached settlements in 2020 with The Washington Post and CNN on officially undisclosed amounts; he sued them for $ 250 million and $ 275 million, respectively.

The Covington Catholic graduate, now 19, is still leading lawsuits against outlets ABC, CBS, Gannett, Rolling Stone and The New York Times.

To follow

Mimi Nguyen Lee is a distribution editor and world news reporter based in Australia. Has experience in optometry. Contact her at [email protected]

World Nation News Deskhttps://www.worldnationnews.com
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here