COSTA MESA – Brian Bulaga underwent surgery for a core muscle injury on Tuesday, but there is a chance he could return to play this season, according to Chargers coach Brandon Staley.
“This is our anticipation in terms of the time given to us by surgeons in Philadelphia,” Staley said of Bulga possibly returning this season. “That timeline has yet to be fully articulated, but that is our anticipation.”
The 32-year-old has not played against Washington since the first season due to a back injury. Staley said the injury to the core muscles has nothing to do with a back injury.
“The main muscle injury was during the training camp he was fighting,” Staley said. “Then the back was something that happened in Washington’s game, which was different. So tried to take care of the back first, and then the core muscle injury didn’t respond as well as we had expected in that time frame .
Right guard Ode Aboushi will soon be the second starting offensive lineman for the Chargers to undergo surgery. Abushi sustained a torn ACL in the first quarter against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.
On Tuesday, the Chargers placed Abushi in injured reserve and signed guard Senio Calemte from the San Francisco 49ers’ practice squad. Kelamete, a 2012 fifth-rounder for the Arizona Cardinals, has played 88 career games with 42 starts.
Staley said the current plan is for veteran Michael Scofield to start at right guard. Callemette and rookie Brendan James are the other options for the Chargers at guard.
Schofield will play the right tackle next to Storm Norton, who has replaced Bulaga for 2 weeks. Norton has struggled at times, but Staley is pleased with his performance.
Schofield returned to the Chargers on September 17 as a free agent. The eighth-year veteran played for the Chargers from 2017 to 2019 before joining the Carolina Panthers last season.
“He didn’t miss a beat,” Chargers center Corey Linsley said of Schofield filling in for Abushi last week. “I don’t think he was ever confused on a single play, which is extraordinary, especially because he’s only here for, I don’t even know how many weeks, but you know, he’s a great addition to our room.” Is.”
cool hurt update
Chargers linebacker Drew Tranquil suffered a pectoral injury during the final drive against the Browns.
Staley said he did not expect the injury to be a long-term problem or one that would require Tranquil to go on injured reserve.
“We’re still getting information about Drew,” Staley said. “We did the initial scan with our doctors and our trainers and were just asking for a second opinion. We don’t think it’s going to be anything long term IR-wise. But we’re going to make those determinations here in the next few days.” ”
The Chargers already have down linebacker Kenneth Murray, who has missed the last two games with an ankle injury. The team added linebacker depth after signing Nate Hall to the practice squad on Wednesday.
If Tranquil can’t play against the Baltimore Ravens this Sunday, rookies Nick Nieman and Amen Ogbongbemiga could be options to start at linebacker next to Kazir White.
Staley turned Wednesday’s practice into a walk-through workout because of the team’s short week with two matches last week.
The Chargers played the Las Vegas Raiders on “Monday Night Football” and hosted the Browns six days later.
“Going on a trip to the East Coast, we just wanted to make sure our guys feel their best for this weekend because we need to,” Staley said.
Wednesday’s #LACvsBAL injury report
*We conducted a walk-through today, participation is an estimate pic.twitter.com/0Gm21cFsua
— Los Angeles Chargers (@Chargers) 13 October 2021