- Advertisement -spot_img
Thursday, January 20, 2022

Omicron-related deaths in UK rise to 7 as London mayor declares “serious incident”

Six more people died from the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus in England on Friday, according to the UK Health Safety Agency (UKHSA).

It came on Saturday when London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced a “major incident,” saying the rise in Omicron cases in the capital was “of grave concern.”

In the UKHSA Omicron Daily Survey (pdf) released on Saturday, the agency said there were 10,059 more confirmed Omicron cases across the UK by 6:00 pm Friday, bringing the total to 24,968.

Another 76,705 cases have been reported as S Gene Target Failure (SGTF) cases, which means they are suspected cases of Omicron but have not been confirmed.

England has 23,168 confirmed cases of Omicron, accounting for nearly 93 percent of the total UK cases.

There were 85 Omicron-related hospitalizations reported by the UKHSA, adding that this number includes both confirmed Omicron cases and SGTF cases.

In England, there were seven Omicron-related deaths reported, with six more the day before. But the document does not specify whether all deaths were confirmed cases or whether they included SGTF cases.

No details of hospitalizations and deaths, including vaccination status, underlying health conditions, and age, have been published. UKHSA told The Epoch Times that additional information will be released at future technical briefings.

No other hospitalization or death of Omicron has been reported in the rest of the UK.

No other countries have yet officially reported confirmed deaths from Omicron, but a statement from the South African Ministry of Health on Thursday said there have been cases of Omicron deaths in the country, but the number was relatively low.

Read Also:  South Africa lifts curfew as it says COVID-19 peaks of fourth wave

“According to scientific studies, this virus is spreading faster than in previous waves, but hospital admissions and death rates remain relatively low,” the statement said.

According to official figures, as of December 16, there were 7,611 people in the UK hospital with the MMR virus, and the average number of deaths associated with the MMR virus in the past seven days was 112.4.

Health Minister Sajid Javid previously told parliament that about 80 percent of patients in hospitals with the MMR virus were hospitalized due to the virus, while the remaining 20 percent were hospitalized for other reasons.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson previously wrote Twitter that an emergency response meeting with representatives from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will take place over the weekend.

The Mayor of London announced a “major incident” on Saturday, saying the rise in Omicron cases “is of grave concern.”

“The rise in Omicron virus infections in our capital is a serious concern, which is why we are announcing a major incident again due to the COVID-19 threat to our city,” Khan said.

“The Omicron variant quickly became dominant, the number of cases is growing rapidly and the number of Covid-19 patients in our hospitals is on the rise again,” he said.

“We already feel the impact across the capital, and while we’re still exploring this option, it’s right that key London agencies are working closely to minimize the impact on our city, including helping to protect a vital vaccination program.”

To follow

Lily Zhou is a freelance writer mainly covering UK news for The Epoch Times.

World Nation News Deskhttps://www.worldnationnews.com
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here