- Advertisement -spot_img
Wednesday, January 19, 2022

On January 6, the rally planner will tell the group that he did not participate in the violence

Ali Alexander, the well-known organizer of the Stop Theft Rally, which gathered supporters of President Donald Trump in Washington on January 6, plans on Thursday to tell the House committee investigating the attack on the Capitol that he “had nothing to do with this.” any violence or violation of the law ”that day, according to a copy of his opening statement obtained by The New York Times.

“Anyone who suggests that I had anything to do with illegal activities on January 6 is wrong,” plans to declare Mr. Alexander, who has promised to provide the committee with voluminous documents. “They are either wrong or they are lying.”

Mr. Alexander, a provocateur who has risen in right-wing circles in the chaos of the 2020 presidential election, was one of a handful of organizers who staged marches and rallies across the country to protest their outcome, culminating in a rally in Washington. January 6th, when crowds of visitors gathered and violently stormed the Capitol.

He attended Mr Trump’s incendiary speech on an ellipse outside the White House that day, then headed to the Capitol with the crowd, along with Infowars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and a young white nationalist, Nicholas Fuentes, who arrived, as he put it, at his prepared comments to the group “in the early stages of breaking the law”.

Late last month, a House committee sent subpoenas to both Mr. Alexander and Mr. Jones, suggesting they might know how the Stop Theft rallies met on January 6th.

“We need to know who organized, planned, paid for and received funds associated with these events, and what connections the organizers had with officials in the White House and Congress,” said spokesman Benny Thompson, a Mississippi Democrat and chairman of the committee. while.

The Panel is seeking information from Mr. Alexander about his connections with members of Congress and his repeated use of harsh language, members said.

In the weeks leading up to the attack, Mr. Alexander repeatedly referred to the potential use of violence to further the organization’s goals during Stop Theft events, and he claimed to have spoken to the White House and members of Congress about activities planned to undermine. The official tally by Congress of the results of the Electoral College, the committee said.

Mr. Alexander said that he, along with representatives from Mo Brooks from Alabama, Paul Gosar from Arizona and Andy Biggs from Arizona, all Republicans, set in motion the January 6 events.

“The four of us plotted to exert maximum pressure on Congress while they were voting,” Mr. Alexander said in a video posted online, which was subsequently deleted, “so that those we could not lobby, we can change hearts and minds. Republicans. who were in this body, hearing our loud roar outside. “

In his opening address to the committee, Mr. Alexander plans to provide an insight into his personal biography – his mother was Black and lived in a government house; his father, an Arab, disappeared from his life at a young age – which means that he has become a target for those who want to blame someone for the January 6 violence.

“It’s not uncommon to look for a ghost after historical chaos and devastation,” he said in his opening statement. “After all, someone has to be held accountable, right?”

Mr. Alexander also intends to describe some of the bitter rivalries that have divided the small group of planners who organized major events in support of Trump in Washington in November, December and January.

According to the prepared statement, he plans to say that he sought to “reduce the escalation of events in the Capitol” on January 6, while other organizers, including Amy Kremer and her daughter Kylie Kremer, who led a group called Women for America First. Didn’t work with the police “to suppress the crowd.

According to him, over the past few weeks, Alexander claims to have spent more than 100 hours searching his archives for “relevant and appropriate documentation for this committee’s requests.” He says he hired “lawyers and computer consultants to be as responsive as possible.”

Mr. Alexander’s collaboration comes at a time when a committee is considering criminal contempt of Congress against a third rebellious witness, Mark Meadows, who served as Mr. Trump’s chief of staff at the White House.

Mr Meadows, who handed over thousands of pages of documents to the committee, told the group on Tuesday that he no longer wishes to interview its investigators on the Wednesday scheduled to testify, canceling a deal he struck with the committee just last week to visit interview. Committee leaders immediately threatened to accuse Mr. Meadows, a former North Carolina congressman, of contempt of Congress if he did not show up.

In a letter sent to Mr Meadows’s lawyer on Tuesday night, Mr Thompson said Mr Meadows provided the committee with some useful information, including a November email discussing the appointment of an alternate voter list to keep Mr Trump in power. , and the Message dated January 5 about the transfer of the National Guard to the standby mode.

Mr Meadows also texted the committee with a member of Congress in which he acknowledged that the plan to object to Mr Biden’s victory would be “highly controversial,” to which Mr Meadows responded, “I like it,” and other conversations that the former president should make a public statement in an attempt to stop the mafia as violence swept the Capitol on January 6.

But Mr Meadows also told the committee that he turned in his used mobile phone on January 6 to his service provider, and that he is hiding about 1,000 text messages associated with the device, which raises many questions and the need for more cooperation and testimony. said Mr Thompson.

“The ad hoc committee is left with no choice but to move the contempt case and recommend that the body where Mr. Meadows once served send him for prosecution,” he wrote.

The committee recently sent a series of subpoenas to telecommunications companies demanding the details of dozens of individuals, including Mr Meadows, prompting his lawyer to object to the request, which he said was about “purely personal contact” unrelated to any legitimate investigation. …

The subpoenas that follow the retention requests sent to 35 tech and social media companies in August do not ask for the content of any messages, but simply list the dates and times when the calls and messages took place, the committee aide said.

The committee has now interviewed more than 275 witnesses and is receiving assistance from several members of former Vice President Mike Pence’s inner circle, including Mark Short, his former chief of staff.

But several prominent witnesses are blocking the commission’s work in line with Trump’s directive. The former president is fighting in court to block the release of documents requested by the committee, which he says is a privilege of the executive branch, although the Biden administration declined to pursue the claim.

In October, the House of Representatives voted to recommend the indictment of another Trump ally, Stephen K. Bannon, of criminal contempt of Congress for not cooperating. He was subsequently indicted by a federal grand jury on two counts, which could have held up to two years behind bars in total. A judge on Tuesday set a date for Mr. Bannon’s trial on July 18, which means the elected committee will likely have to wait most of the year, if not longer, for his case to be resolved and any possible collaboration with him.

The committee also recommended indictment of contempt for Jeffrey Clark, a former Justice Department attorney who was involved in Mr Trump’s efforts to invalidate the 2020 election results, for refusing to cooperate with his investigation. The Panel is awaiting completion of this avenue until it can determine how much information Mr. Clark is willing to provide during his testimony scheduled for December 16. Mr. Clarke said he would exercise his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Another would-be witness, John Eastman, the lawyer who wrote the memorandum that some on both sides compare to a coup plan to keep Mr Trump in power, also indicated that he plans to apply the Fifth Amendment in response to the committee’s agenda. …

A third witness, politician Roger J. Stone, Jr., told the committee this week that he, too, planned to exercise his right to self-incrimination by refusing to appear on a summons, refusing to attend an interview or provide documents.

World Nation News Deskhttps://www.worldnationnews.com
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here