The number of Palestinians killed in the Gaza Strip for bombing Israel since the war with Hamas began on October 7 increased to at least 8,000, as reported by the Gaza Ministry of Health this Sunday.
The spokesperson of the Ministry, Ashraf al-Qudras, said in a press conference that among the dead, there are at least 3,342 minors, 2,062 women, and 460 elderly. To this, he added that since the beginning of the war, at least 25 ambulances have been destroyed within the Strip, which is controlled de facto by the Islamist group Hamas, and 57 health institutions have been the target of attacks. Therefore, he repeated the call for humanitarian aid to enter the enclave through the Rafah crossing on the border with Egypt.
In this regard, the UN Agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA) reported on Sunday the invasion of thousands of people in the organization’s warehouses and distribution centers in central and southern Gaza and said that supplies stored there were taken.
UNRWA stressed in its note that the large-scale displacement of people from the north to the south of the Strip is putting “great pressure” on communities in the southern part, adding more burden to already deteriorating public services.
This institution is in charge of managing the reception and storage of aid that entered the Palestinian enclave through Rafah last week—about 80 trucks with aid—and indicated that on Saturday no convoy could enter due to the cut in telecommunications in Gaza.
On the twenty-third day of the war, the Israeli army sent more troops to Gaza this Sunday to continue expanding the movement on the ground in the enclave, which began on Friday with the deployment of tanks.
Israel and Hamas have been at war since October 7, after the Palestinian Islamist group attacked Israeli territory, leaving 1,400 dead, about 5,400 wounded, and 230 hostages taken to Gaza.