LIMA (AFP) – Peru’s President Dina Boluarte called on Tuesday for “a national struggle” and “setting the negotiating table” to quell protests demanding her resignation, which have claimed at least 46 deaths in five weeks. it was done.
He called the protesters who resumed the protests “violent radicals and with their own agenda.” in the southern Andes.
“I don’t tire of calling them for dialogue, peace and unity,” Boluarte told a conference with foreign press at Lima’s Government Palace.
Peru’s presidential dialogue and call for a ceasefire came as another day of mobilization, even more challenging than recent days, was called for in Lima this Tuesday with the announcement of new contingents arriving in the capital.
The protests began after the ouster and arrest of leftist President Pedro Castillo on 7 December, after the ruler tried to dissolve the right-wing-controlled parliament as he was about to remove him from power for alleged corruption.
However, after the restart on 4 January, the main demands focused on social rights, inequality and racial discrimination in the forgotten historical regions of Peru with an indigenous majority.
Bolluarte repeatedly repeated “sorry for the dead” at these protests, at least 46 directly related to the demonstrations, which resumed in southern Peru on 4 January and which maintain blockades of the country’s main roads.
Furthermore, Boluaarte once again denied his resignation.
He stated emphatically, “When we have called general elections I will quit (…) I have no intention of staying in power.” April 2024.
“Will my resignation solve the crisis and violence? Who will assume the presidency of the republic?”
a hit for convenience
Boluaarte insisted that he held the presidency by constitutional mandate and attributed the version that toppled former President Castillo to “the story of radical groups of people based on drug trafficking, illegal mining and smuggling”. Which, according to them will be behind the violent protest.
“The only truth, gentlemen of the world and of Peru, is that on December 7 there was a coup d’état, a failed coup,” he said.
“The way Pedro Castillo quit is a way of making himself a victim of saying there has been a coup when he is the author of his own coup, and not quitting because of pressure from the 57 tax files that are against him.” for acts of corruption,” Boluaarte said.
It was convenient for Castillo to “carry out a self-coup to make himself suffer and move all this paramilitary and not answer to the public ministry for the acts of corruption for which he is being condemned. Mr. Castillo, There are no victims here.” Here is a country which is going to death due to its irresponsibility.
Before OAS “with the truth”
Boluaarte, who will take part online in a session before the Organization of American States (OAS) on Wednesday, said he intended to “report the truth”.
“Tomorrow I will appear before the OAS to tell the truth, the Peruvian government and at least Dina Boluarte have something to hide, I have always spoken with the truth, looking forward to my brothers and sisters, 50 people in these acts Protests have been killed, it pains me, as a woman, mother and daughter, it pains me,” she said.
On Tuesday, 85 pickets blocked passage on highways in 9 of Peru’s 25 regions, according to transport officials, demanding Boluaarte’s resignation.
In the Ica region, police used tear gas to open several sections of the Panamericana Sur Highway, which had been closed by dozens of residents.
Meanwhile, another major mobilization is expected in the capital Lima, with the arrival of new marches and challenges to the president and his executive this Tuesday.