- Advertisement -spot_img
Saturday, October 16, 2021

Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte has announced his retirement from politics

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Saturday that he would not run for vice president in the 2022 election and would retire from politics.

Duterte’s move came as a surprise to many, as he announced in August that he would run for vice-president. Speculation is now rife that he may be clearing the way for his daughter to become his successor.

“The irresistible feeling of Filipinos is that I am not qualified, and it would be a violation of the Constitution,” Duterte said. “In obedience to the will of the people … I will follow whatever you want and today I am announcing my retirement from politics,” he added.

In the Philippines, presidents are constitutionally limited to a single six-year term, and opponents say they will question the legitimacy of Duterte’s declared vice-president before the Supreme Court if he follows his proposal.

Political analysts have previously said that there would be a strong alliance as a candidate for the presidency, with Duterte teaming up with his daughter Sarah Duterte to suggest that his daughter, who is currently mayor of Davao City.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (L) and his daughter Sara Duterte arrived in Boao, Hainan Province, China on April 10, 2018 to inaugurate the annual conference of the Boao Forum for Asia (BFA).

“It allows Sara Duterte to run,” said Antonio La Vina, a professor of law and politics at Atenio de Manila University. “It’s a drama he sees through Dad’s scheme or to confuse everyone.”

Read Also:  Spanish volcano erupts after crater collapse

But his father first announced that he would run for vice president, and Sara Duterte announced that he would not run for president, saying that he and his father had agreed to run for a national office in Duterte only next year.

Duterte did not announce for the first time that he was retiring from politics, as in 2015, he entered the presidential race at the last minute and won by a wide margin, a decision that some political analysts were skeptical of.

Carlos Conde, a Philippine researcher at New York-based Human Rights Watch, told Reuters: “I would accept his announcement with a lot of salt. “But assuming he’s really retiring doesn’t mean he won’t get protection from the ICC.”

The 76-year-old leader is known for his deadly anti-drug campaign, tough rhetoric and unconventional political style.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

From NTD News

Lorenz Duchamps

Follow

.

This News Originally From – The Epoch Times

World Nation News Deskhttps://www.worldnationnews.com
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply