October 2 (WNN) — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Saturday he would drop plans to run for vice president amid criticism.
Duterte was barred from running for the presidency in 2022 because of a constitutional provision limiting the president to one term in the Philippines, and instead acknowledging the ruling PDP-Laban party’s support for the country’s second-highest term. Had taken.
As Filstar.com reports, he said he wanted to run for vice president to continue his administration’s efforts against extremism and illegal drugs, but faced widespread criticism that it would push the president to seek a second term. There was a way to circumvent the withholding provision.
During the announcement of his retirement, The Washington Post noted that Duterte cited a recent poll that found most Filipinos believe that running for vice president violates the Constitution’s intent.
“The overwhelming sentiment of Filipinos is that I am not worthy, and that bypassing the spirit of the law, the constitution, would be a violation of the constitution,” Duterte told filstar.com. “Following the will of the people who appointed me to the presidency many years ago, I will do whatever you want.”
“Today I announce my retirement from politics,” Duterte said.
Constitution-maker Christian Monsod warned that the move to run for vice president was “insidious”, even though no law explicitly prohibits an incumbent president from seeking the post of vice-president.
Michael Yusingko, senior research fellow at the Ateneo Policy Center, previously told Philstar.com that the ban on seeking re-election of the president in the constitution shows that it “abhors the concentration of executive power on one individual.”
According to the Post, Duterte, 76, backed his former aide-senator, Bong Go, to run for vice president.
Boxing champion and Filipino senator Manny Pacquiao officially announced in September that he would run for president in 2022 and announced his retirement from the sport late last month.
Duterte ran for president in 2016 on a promise to end drugs, crime and government corruption, which he failed to deliver.
Last month the International Criminal Court authorized an investigation into allegations that crimes had been committed in his War on Drugs campaign, which was requested by then-chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda in May, citing the belief that “murder was committed”. A crime against humanity was committed” campaign in the Philippines from 1 July 2016 to 16 March 2019