Prosecutors are seeking a decades-long prison sentence for a man who could be convicted of setting a subway car on fire, injuring 10 passengers, in an attack that shook New York City.
Frank James, 63, is to be indicted in federal court in Brooklyn on Tuesday after admitting he was responsible for the April 12, 2022 attack, triggering a 30-hour manhunt that ended when he turned himself in called the police.
Last week, prosecutors in a letter to Judge William F. Kuntz II that they plan to ask to go beyond the sentence of about 32 to 39 years, as federal guidelines recommend. Prosecutors said in a letter that James planned the attack for years and put the lives of dozens at risk.
Defense attorneys did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday, when the court was closed for the New Year’s holiday.
James will stand trial in late February.
His lawyers informed the judge on 21 December that James wanted to plead guilty. Prosecutors said he plans to plead guilty to 11 counts without a plea.
Ten of those counts — each corresponding to a specific victim — allege them of carrying out a terroristic attack against a mass transit system with passengers and employees.
On the 11th count, James is charged with brandishing a firearm during a violent crime.
Last week, Kuntz issued an order for the Marshals Service to use “all necessary force” to ensure that James was present at Tuesday’s plea proceedings, noting that James had failed to appear at a previous hearing. has refused. James, who is being held in federal prison, resisted being taken to federal court in October, but hours later he was forced to go if necessary when Kuntz issued a similar order.