Confessed Highland Park shooter Robert Cremo III admitted to police three years ago that he was a depressed teen drug user when questioned about threatening to “kill everyone” in his family, newly released Shows documents.
A Highland Park Police report explains why the then 18-year-old alleged shooter was flagged as a “clear and present danger” in 2019 – a few months before his father helped him start collecting arsenals which he reportedly used to kill seven and wound dozens at his local Fourth of July parade.
It notes that a relative said that “after Robert said he was going to kill everyone, officers were called to his Highland Park home at 10 a.m. on September 5th.”
The report, released on Wednesday, said the relative – whose identity was changed – was “afraid to go home due to the nature of the threat” and the fact that “he had a collection of knives in his bedroom”.
The revised report said police interrogated the then 18-year-old Cremo in front of his mother, Denise Pessina, and that he “admitted to be depressed … and a history of drug use.” He did not say what drugs he was using at the time.
However, despite being too scared for one of his relatives to return home, the depressed teen and his mother “were not speaking about the language he used,” the responding officers noted.
Police also spoke to Cremo’s father, Robert Cremo Jr., who immediately said that “the knife collection belongs to him,” the report said.
“Robert Cremo” [Jr.] Then Robert E. agreed to hand over a collection of 16 knives kept in tin cans, along with 12-inch daggers and 24-inch samurai-type blades, in Cremo III’s bedroom closet,” the report said. It is learned that the father took up arms only four hours after the initial call.
With his mother still present, Cremo – who had previously threatened suicide – was asked “whether he felt like harming himself or others,” the report said, adding, “Robert did not respond. “
Nevertheless, the local police report noted that “a clear and present danger form was filled out and faxed to the Illinois State Police”.
It notes that such declarations are “to identify persons who, if provided with access to a firearm or shotgun ammunition, would cause actual, imminent injury to themselves or any other person of substantial bodily harm.” create danger.[s] It is clear and important or that would act in a manner potentially dangerous to the public interest.”
The state police conducted investigations under the state’s red-flag laws, which would allow them to prohibit active applications for carrying or obtaining weapons.
BUT KRIMO “didn’t have FOID” [firearm owner’s identification card] cards or pending applications” at that time, leaving no weapons for state police to take, Illinois State Police said in a separate update Wednesday.
Because “the man and his mother both disputed the threat of violence,” Cremo “told police that he didn’t feel like hurting himself or others” and his father claimed the knives were his, “arrested.” There was no probable cause,” the state force said.
“Upon reviewing the report at the time, the reviewing officer concluded that there was insufficient information for a clear and present threat determination.”
This meant that there was no stopping Cremo from buying guns in the future – which he applied to do with his father’s help just two months later.
Their FOID card application included “a guardian legal guardianship affidavit signed by the father of the person applying,” the state force said, adding that Cremo had “no firearms prohibition” at the time.
“At the time of the approval of the FOID application for the person in question there was no new information to establish a clear and present danger, no arrest, no criminal record restricted, no mental health prohibition, no order of protection, no other There was no disqualifying prohibitory and no firearms restraining order,” the state force insisted.
“Available evidence would have been insufficient for law enforcement to obtain a firearms restraining order from a court.”
Cremo, now 21, would go on to purchase at least five guns, including a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 semi-automatic rifle he reportedly fired more than 80 rounds at parade-goers on Monday, in which Seven were killed and dozens were injured.
After his arrest, a Kel Tech Sub2000 was found in his car and a Remington 700, a shotgun and a Glock 43 were recovered from his home, officials said.
Despite sponsoring his son, the killer’s father told The Post in an exclusive interview on Wednesday that he had “zero” responsibility for his son’s fatal attack.
The father said of his son’s weapons, “he bought everything on his own, and they are registered with him.”
“You know, he went there, he ordered them, he picked them up, they did his background check on every single one,” Cremo Jr. said.
He dismissed his son’s 2019 threat as a “childish outburst”, and compared Sword and Knife to his previous collection of “coins and baseball cards” at the time.
Cremo has been charged with seven first-degree murder charges, which would bring a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole.
“Many, many more charges are to come,” said Lake County State Attorney Eric Rinehart, who vowed to bring attempted murder and increased battery charges for each person.
Police warned that some of the injured were in critical condition and the death toll could rise.