Rwanda said on Monday that it had requested a regional body to investigate the shelling by the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo’s military in its territory that left several people injured and property damaged.
The alleged incident could further ignite ties between the two countries, which have long been accused of supporting extremist groups.
Congolese officials could not immediately be contacted for comment.
In a statement, Rwanda’s Defense Ministry said it had asked the Expanded Joint Verification Mechanism (EJVM) to investigate the attack on its territory. The EJVM is a group of military experts in the field that monitors and investigates security incidents.
The ministry said the attack targeted the Musanj district in Rwanda’s north, with “many civilians injured and property damaged.”
“The injured are receiving treatment and officials are assessing the extent of the damage. The RDF (Rwanda Defense Forces) has requested an immediate investigation by the regional EJVM, and Rwandan officials are also engaging their DRC counterparts on the incident. are,” it added.
Tensions have risen since March, when the Congolese M23 rebel group attacked two Congolese army bases near the borders with Uganda and Rwanda and advanced into nearby cities.
The group seized territory in eastern Congo during an insurgency in 2012 and 2013, before its fighters were driven out by Congolese and United Nations forces. They have since returned to attack from neighboring countries.
Congolese and UN investigators have previously accused Rwanda of supporting the M23, but Kigali has denied the allegations.
This article is republished from – Voa News – Read the – original article.