- Advertisement -spot_img
Monday, July 4, 2022

Saudi Arabia and Yemen’s Houthis resume direct talks, say sources

Warring sides Saudi Arabia and Yemen’s Houthi movement have resumed direct talks with Yemen to discuss security along the kingdom’s border and future ties under any peace deal, two sources familiar with the matter said on Tuesday. Said to

So far sporadic talks between the two sides resumed last month ahead of the scheduled renewal of the UN-brokered truce, which was extended for another two months on June 2.

The resumption of talks is a positive sign for efforts by the United Nations and the United States to find a political solution to the conflict, which has killed thousands and pushed Yemen to the brink of famine.

Both sources said virtual talks between senior Saudi and Houthi officials were facilitated by Oman, with a face-to-face meeting in Muscat also planned if substantial progress was made.

The Saudi government did not respond to a request for comment. A Houthi official declined to comment.

After years of military standoff, in which the Saudi-led coalition failed to dislodge the Houthis from the capital Sanaa, Riyadh is seeking to forge ties with the Iran-aligned movement, which still borders Yemen’s 1,300-kilometre (800 mi) border. Controls large areas of Empire.

Sources said Saudi and Houthi officials are discussing a long-term border security agreement as well as Riyadh’s concerns over Riyadh’s arsenal of ballistic missiles and armed drones used to carry out repeated attacks on Saudi cities. were, the sources said.

FILE – People sit under posters of Houthi leaders in Sanaa, Yemen, April 7, 2022.

The Saudi-led coalition accused Iran of promoting and funding the movement, which has transformed from a ragtag militia into an established Yemeni force during the war. Tehran and the group both deny the allegation.

trust building

Meanwhile, Hans Grundberg, the UN envoy for Yemen, is trying to persuade Houthi leaders to withdraw their forces from at least one of the main roads in the disputed southwestern city of Taiz, one of the sources said from the talks. According to a third person acquaintance.

The reopening of the Hubban Road was one of the conditions set by the Houthis’ rival, Saudi-backed government as a condition to renew the ceasefire.

But the Houthis have so far resisted, arguing that the Houban Road is a front line and, according to sources, the redeployment of troops was not part of the truce agreement.

The Houthis ousted the internationally recognized government from Sanaa in late 2014, forcing the coalition to intervene months later. The group says it is fighting a corrupt system and foreign invasion.

The conflict in the region is widely seen as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, which last year launched direct talks aimed at tackling tensions and focused largely on Yemen.

Riyadh is also under pressure from Washington and other Western allies to end the war.

Sources have said US President Joe Biden is expected to visit Riyadh in mid-July, and talks are expected to include Gulf security concerns, at a time when efforts by global powers to revive the nuclear deal with Iran have stalled.

This article is republished from – Voa News – Read the – original article.

World Nation News Desk
World Nation News Deskhttps://worldnationnews.com/
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here