Aroldo Maril, the driver of the school minibus that was hit by gunfire on Thursday morning in Biobio, assured that the vehicle had received more than 30 bullets in what he described as “minutes of terror”.
In a conversation with Cooperative, Maril explained that when they were coming to the Antiquina sector a group of at least eight subjects approached them and said that “it was a moment, a few minutes of terror. Straight down The shot caused damage to the windshield, bumpers, they fired bullets into the underside of the machine. But it was from afar because I had already seen them, about 200 meters away, I saw them (…) and a certain speed With, I’m about 80 meters away from them, 70 meters away from them”.
“From there they ran away aiming at us and shooting in the air. Several shots, about thirty or more shots,” he said.
On behalf of the government, the Minister of Education, Marco Antonio Avila, “condemned this violent act, which could be characterized as criminal, against the Chilean families of the boys and girls who went to school this morning. It is indecent, we really I don’t understand.” Such a situation.”
“For us it is a concern, I am right with Cermi del Biobio and we already have a history with our provincial director who has traveled to the place to find out more, we are very concerned ,” he insisted.
I have instructed the provincial director of education to co-operate and support the educational community in whatever is necessary.
A big hug to your students, their families, and the educational community in general.
— Marco Antonio Avila Lavanal (@ProfMarcoAvila) April 27, 2023
For her part, Elizabeth Chávez, Biobio Education Ceremí, did not rule out the possibility of considering the option of vans or buses to transport schoolchildren who have shielding.
“It will have to be probed, found out… it could be (an option to include armored buses). I can’t say yes or no at this point of time, it has to be seen. I can’t give a detailed decision at this point of time Because we also have to look at how the situation happened, and what things should be done so that boys and girls can go to school safely,” warned the regional education authority.
In any case, he reiterated that from his portfolio he strongly condemns the situation that took place today in the commune of Canete and the transfer of students.