- Advertisement -spot_img
Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Sheriff: Projectile removed from director’s shoulder

By MORGAN LEE, SUSAN MONTOYA BRIAN and SEDAR ATANACIO.

SANTA FE, New Mexico (AP) – Investigators said Wednesday there was “some complacency” in the way the gun was handled on the set of the film, where Alec Baldwin accidentally shot the cinematographer and injured another person, but it’s too early to determine whether charges will be brought. to be served.

Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza also noted that a search of the western TV series Rust found 500 rounds – a mixture of blanks, blanks and live rounds.

“Obviously, I think the industry has been showing safety lately. I think there was some complacency on this set, and I think there are some safety issues that need to be addressed by the industry and possibly the state of New Mexico, ”Mendoza said at a press conference almost a week after there was a shooting during a rehearsal.

Investigators believe that a single live shot was fired from Baldwin’s pistol, killing cameraman Halina Hutchins and injuring director Joel Sousa.

The detectives discovered a lead projectile that they believe the actor fired last week. Tests are underway to confirm whether the shell taken from Sousa’s shoulder was fired from the same Colt long revolver that Baldwin used.

Two other pistols were confiscated, officials said, including a single revolver that may have been modified and a plastic pistol that has been described as a revolver.

Sousa, who was behind Hutchins, told investigators that there should be no live ammunition near the scene.

“We suspect there were other live ammunition, but this is before testing. But right now we’re going to figure out how they got there, why they got there, because they weren’t supposed to be, ”Mendoza said.

District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altvis said investigators cannot yet say if it was negligence or by whom. She called it a difficult case that will require additional research and analysis.

“It will take a lot more facts, proven facts, before we can move on to this standard of criminal negligence,” she said.

Investigators said they planned to check reports of other firearm misfire incidents on set.

The shooting has puzzled Hollywood professionals and sparked calls for better regulation of the use of firearms on set or even banning them in the era of seamless computer images. The court records state that the assistant director pulled a pistol from the cart and shouted, “Cold steel,” stating that the weapon was safe.

Hannah Gutierrez Reed, a weapons specialist who starred in the film, said she checked the dummy bullets on filming day to make sure none of them were “hot.” She also told the detective that although the weapons used for the filming were locked during the crew’s lunch break, the ammunition remained unprotected in the cart, according to a search warrant released Wednesday ahead of the press conference.

Read Also:  ‘The Trip’ Review: With This Gun, I Thee Shoot

Gutierrez Reed told the detective that live ammunition was never stored on set.

Assistant director David Halls, who handed the pistol to Baldwin before shooting, said Gutierrez Reed used to open the gun hatch and spin the drum, although he couldn’t remember if she did this before shooting. He said that he only remembered that he saw three cartridges in the gun, according to the warrant.

After the shooting, Halls took the pistol to Gutierrez and said that he saw five cartridges in the pistol, at least four of them were “dummies”, as indicated by the hole on the side and the cap on the cartridge. Halls said the pistol also had a casing that didn’t have a cap and a hole to indicate it was a dummy, the warrant says.

Halls “said the incident was not an intentional act,” according to a warrant issued Wednesday to search a truck that was used on set.

Baldwin, 63, who is best known for his roles in 30 Rock, The Departed, and The Hunt for Red October, as well as his impression of then President Donald Trump on Saturday Night Air, described the murder as a “tragic accident.” …

The pistol Baldwin used was one of three that the gunsmith had placed on a cart outside the building where the stage was being rehearsed, according to court records.

The Rzhavchina production was engulfed in labor disputes from the very beginning in early October. Hours before filming began, several crew members left the set due to disagreements over working conditions, including safety regulations.

Baldwin, in his role as an actor, is unlikely to be held criminally or civilly responsible for the tragedy. However, as a producer, he is on a long list of film partners who could face some kind of responsibility.

Colleagues on two previous productions have raised concerns about Halls’ safety record. Halls did not return phone calls or e-mails seeking comment.

Production company Rust Movie Productions said it is working with the authorities and conducting its own internal review of the production shutdown procedures.

World Nation News Deskhttps://www.worldnationnews.com
World Nation News is a digital news portal website. Which provides important and latest breaking news updates to our audience in an effective and efficient ways, like world’s top stories, entertainment, sports, technology and much more news.
Latest news
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply