(CNN)– South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said North Korea fired at least one unidentified ballistic missile into waters off the eastern coast of the Korean peninsula. For its part, Japan’s Prime Minister’s Office said the missile flew over Japan and has already landed in the Pacific Ocean.
Japan’s Prime Minister’s Office tweeted: “Missile launch. Missile launch. Missile believed to have been launched from North Korea. Evacuate to building or underground.”
Japan says the alert areas are Miyagi, Yamagata and Niigata Prefectures.
A few minutes later another tweet was posted which read: “Missile passed. Missile passed. Missile believed to have landed in the Pacific at around 7:48 pm. If you see anything suspicious, then Stay away and contact the police immediately.” or the fire department.
The Japan Coast Guard also sent an alert to ships in the areas saying “North Korea fired a possible missile, we urge you to be alert for more information, do not contact them and if you find any, related information on the coast.” Report to the guard. Object”.
According to CNN, this is the 30th missile launch so far this year, which includes ballistic and cruise missiles.
It also comes a day after North Korea fired 23 different types of missiles.
The Seoul Joint Chiefs of Staff said one of the missiles launched on Wednesday was a short-range ballistic missile that landed near South Korea’s territorial waters for the first time since Korea’s split.
North Korea’s warning
North Korea’s action came on Monday after asking the United States and South Korea to halt large-scale military exercises in the region, a spokesman for North Korea’s foreign ministry said in a statement at the time.
“The continued and reckless military actions of the United States and South Korea have re-entered the situation in and around the Korean Peninsula into a phase of serious power confrontation,” the statement said.
South Korea and the United States began a series of massive military air exercises on Monday to bolster resistance against potential North Korean provocations. More than 100 fighter jets will be involved in the exercise and will take place in South Korean airspace from October 31 to November 4.
The spokesman also warned that the North Korean government could take “more powerful response measures” if the exercises continued.